Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyar85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Just got my new iphone with a 1.1.4 firmware version. I unlocked, jailbraked and activated it with Ziphone 3.0, and everything was OK. started to enter my contacts manually, and at some point(I don't recall very well the exact moment) I realized that when I pressed the buttons I have no more sound coming out from my phone speaker. I'm very nervous because is brand new, so I tried some stuff that I Googled:
- the plug/unplug fast and slow out of the phone's jack
- the reset all settings
- clean the jack, even if the phone is new and no clog is there
- restore to it's factory settings(a full restore) and unlock again

I can still use it to make phone calls, I can talk and hear through my earphone, and everything is OK if I plug in the the headphone(buttons sounds and everything). But when I take out the headphones there is still no sound and I have to rely on my tiny vibrator to notify me when someone calls.

Have I done something wrong in the unlock process? the Ziphone is one click do everything...so....

I tried listening very close to the phone's speaker and there is an attempt to play the sound(I hear the sound but very very low). so the speaker is still working but there is "not enough" signal to play since I hear a dimm sound.

Is there some link between the firmware, unlock program, ITunes version?? should I try with a downgrade? or maybe a diferent unlocker or version of ziphone?

I'm pretty worried that I even searched for new jack assembly for the iphone, and found at about 25$, but since is a new phone I don't know if this is a hardware issue.

I've been reading there is the chance that the phone is trapped in headphone mode, but I can't seem to locate the sensor in the jack to see if there is something blocking it. If anyone knows some technical details on this please share. Is it just a contact that acts like a sensing sensor? Maybe if so there is a chance of a bad contact or something. It would help to have a jack schematic.....

If anyone has any idea please let me know how to solve this issue.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
PWNAGE it..:D i had that problem too..also my iphone seems to suck up more batt when i used ziphone..but with pwnage i get better batt life..

andyar85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I'm going to try this....It's a great r to know it's not necessarily a hardware issue. I actually thought of buying the spare part for jack....but it seems more logical to be only a software problem since I only plug-ed in the stock headphones....if this is a compatibility issue between iphone and it's own headphones...then Apple has a big problem...

Doesn't any developer managed to implement like a switch to manually select the headphones or the speaker????:rolleyes: If not...there's an idea to bypass the jack plug-in detection.

I'm going to read about pwnage to see how this is done....and tell yiu about the results

andyar85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Thanks PACMAC
but could you help me out with this PWNAGE. I'm on windows and found the win version of pwnage(winpwn), but I don't know how to use it.

Should I stay with the installed version that is already jailBroken and activated with Ziphone? or what is the exact procedure?

thanks

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=957

here follow this guide...its not neccery to restore it but you can if you want to.. just make sure you wirte all you info like phone numbers/e-mails/sources ect..on a paper or your computer because when your done with the PWNAGE on i tunes you want to set it up as a new phone/use back up.. dont use the backup of what itunes made..its better that way so you can have a good clean install..

andyar85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I understand now how pwnage works. it's about customizing the restore file of a firmware. But what software did you used to get pass the sound error??

"PWNAGE it.. i had that problem too.." is what you said, but no details:(

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I understand now how pwnage works. it's about customizing the restore file of a firmware. But what software did you used to get pass the sound error??

"PWNAGE it.. i had that problem too.." is what you said, but no details:(

oh i see...well i ment that got that speakers sound problems too i just use a headphone jack and plug it to the iphone and pop it back out when i lose sounds from speakers..it happen to me more often when i was on ziphone but with PWNAGE i dont seem to get that problem...

it seem to me that you most likely to have a hardware issue than softwear..

you can replace it if you have a ATT plan..

trevorreid

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
I had the same proble, called up apple and the tech on the phone told me the following...

"get a headphone jack htat fits into the iphone jack like the headphones it came with. now put it in and out quickly and moderatly forcefully about 20 times"

Sounded crazy, but it worked... try it before you do a reinstall

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have you made sure you didn't accidentally set the phone on vibrate only?

I had the same proble, called up apple and the tech on the phone told me the following...

"get a headphone jack htat fits into the iphone jack like the headphones it came with. now put it in and out quickly and moderatly forcefully about 20 times"

Sounded crazy, but it worked... try it before you do a reinstall

If you read the OP's post, he said he did that already

andyar85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I'm very sure alphaod. Like I said I tried different combinations. A few days ago in the morning I was very surprised to see that my battery was empty!!!:confused: It shouldn't be because I've put my phone in sleep mode(the button on top), ....but it was empty. OK, I plugged in the charger and I was surprised to hear sounds on my phone. I thought I was still dreaming(maybe I was;)):rolleyes:
I went out and left my phone to charge and I had that morning a big smile on my face. Didn't know what I've done.....but it was back

Unfortunately the JOY didn't lasted to long...When I got back, don't know when how, but It was gone again....:mad:

So..I decided to buy the part that everyone states that is the fault(headphone jack). Since I'm not from USA this is kind of the way to solve my problem. I'm will be an engineer soon so changing a part is not that difficult for me.

It will be a wile to get the part but I hope for the best. Until then I'll try different tactics of approach.
If I find anything I'll post something. Pls if someone has a solution to this problem please post.

Thanks

shindigg

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Did you get this fixed?

I'm having having the same problem after replacing a headphone jack assembly.

Ghaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
no sound

Hiya all

I have tried absolutely everything under the sun and i cant get the speaker sound on my iphone to work. the only functioning sound i get is when the headphones are plugged in... other than that only vibrate works.

I have made sure the mute is not on, ive resetted it, pulled the headphones out a million times and tried the plugging headphones whilst playing a song, swithching the phone off and on and there is still nothing.

Can anyone think of anything else to do??? please let me know

xxx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.