Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stemo99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I want to purchase a GPS unit for my motorcycle and car. Which GPS units will work with a iMac for software upgrades that become available. If any of you now have a GPS that's iMac compatable, what brand and model please. I have a 20" iMac with version 10.4.11 Tiger OS. Your help is greatly appreciated.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If have a TomTom 720 Go. The supplied CD had Mac compatible software on it. I'm running Leopard, but I think it supports Tiger too...

JNB

macrumors 604
No GPS is actually Mac (or PC) compatible, it's the included mapping software and ability to upload/download to the unit. In that sense, It really doesn't matter, as most better units today are pre-loaded. Mine is seen as USB storage, just upload routes/POI's, etc. into the proper folder.

For the included software, Garmin's is Mac compatible as well. I can't speak to Magellan. For combined cage-MC use, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a terrific choice, I use one almost daily, and it's the best GPS I've owned thus far. I generally advise against TomTom if you're in the States, the basemaps & routing algorithms are generally inferior to Garmin's here. If you're in Europe/Asia, then TomTom is the preferred choice, as Garmin's basemaps are not as good as TomTom's there.

twig

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Canada
You might want to avoid Magellan. I've got a Magellan eXplorist, and while it is technically Mac-compatible, this only extends to the ability to connect the GPS via USB to a Mac and to upload and download points & tracks. The Mapsend software that allows you to upload detailed topo maps, etc. to the GPS unit is not Mac compatible, and I found the software to be rather cumbersome to use. The GPS unit itself is good, but without decent, Mac-compatible software, it's pretty limited in its functionality.

SteveS1

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
Are you saying you can have all functions of Zumo on mac?

I have just changed to iMac and am using Parallels Virtual Windowsxp, having trouble getting Zumo to connect with Mapsource in windows. Are you saying I can perform all functions (mapping, upload/download) just by using IMAC DIRECT VIS USB?

Thanks

Steve

No GPS is actually Mac (or PC) compatible, it's the included mapping software and ability to upload/download to the unit. In that sense, It really doesn't matter, as most better units today are pre-loaded. Mine is seen as USB storage, just upload routes/POI's, etc. into the proper folder.

For the included software, Garmin's is Mac compatible as well. I can't speak to Magellan. For combined cage-MC use, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a terrific choice, I use one almost daily, and it's the best GPS I've owned thus far. I generally advise against TomTom if you're in the States, the basemaps & routing algorithms are generally inferior to Garmin's here. If you're in Europe/Asia, then TomTom is the preferred choice, as Garmin's basemaps are not as good as TomTom's there.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
If have a TomTom 720 Go. The supplied CD had Mac compatible software on it. I'm running Leopard, but I think it supports Tiger too...

There's also some freeware on Apple's download section specifically for TomTom's. Not sure what models are supported but it looks promising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.