Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I'm planning on importing the new [3G] iPhone from the US and unlock it but I dont want to install any other programs. Is it possible to unlock it without jailbreaking it? Or does simply jailbreaking mean unlocking it?

If I unlock it, and there's a new firmware released (2.1, 2.2...), do I have to wait until there's a hacked version of that firmware?

Do I miss any functionality or features if I unlock it?

I live in Sweden where the iphone has yet to be released, is the Apple world wide guarantee valid with an unlocked phone?

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
you can install 3rd party, none apple 'approved' apps. Most a fun random thing, however, there are a few usefull tools. SwirlyMMS, for example, adds MMS functionality to your phone, which isnt offered by apple/iphone (with out this 3rd party app)

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
You HAVE to jailbreak to unlock the phone. But with the Pwnage tool, once it's unlocked you can then make a new firmware without Installer or any thrills and it will look just like an unjailbroken phone, only it will be unlocked.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
you can install 3rd party, none apple 'approved' apps. Most a fun random thing, however, there are a few usefull tools. SwirlyMMS, for example, adds MMS functionality to your phone, which isnt offered by apple/iphone (with out this 3rd party app)
My brother has jailbreaked his touch and added like tons of apps, mostly games though. About MMS have never used it so I dont care but are there any other useful apps/tools? I have yet to touch my touch regarding jailbreaking ;)

You HAVE to jailbreak to unlock the phone. But with the Pwnage tool, once it's unlocked you can then make a new firmware without Installer or any thrills and it will look just like an unjailbroken phone, only it will be unlocked.
Oh, so with Pwnage Tool my iphone will be jailbreaked "on the paper" but no installer and I can install new unhacked firmwares released by Apple?

That would be the bomb.

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
No there is not. If 2.0 comes out and your phone is unlocked you have to wait for it to be hacked. You wont be able to just click update or you run the risk of a brick.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
No there is not. If 2.0 comes out and your phone is unlocked you have to wait for it to be hacked. You wont be able to just click update or you run the risk of a brick.
I see. How long does it usually take before a new FW is hacked? 1 week? 1 month?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.