Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LowMach

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
to applecare or not?

hi all- my macbook ends its limited warranty period as of june 6 2008. the macbook has been used a lot and has 120 cycles on the battery with no real troubles. BTW: i have upgraded the HD and RAM. i do plan to keep the machine for another year or two, so my questions are

should I buy the applecare extended warranty?

anyone ever purchase a applecare warranty from ebay?

my macbook looks used as well with a off kilter screen, scars on every corner, so would apple just deem my machine abused or my troubles self inflicted and not honor any repairs anyways?

I don't sweat memory issues with the HD or RAM, but the screen and motherboard are the big concerns.

anyone know if i can adjust my screen hinges or something, so its not off kilter when closed?

thanks for any input.
-Low

SamoanDude

macrumors regular
May 22, 2008
United States Now
Yes, I buy Apple Care for all my products and have had to use it on just about every one of them. They even replaced my last gen iMac with an aluminum one!

I would not own an Apple computer without it

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally, I never recommend extended warranties unless the product has had several problems during the standard warranty period. Though others will be sure to chime in with horror stories. Of the 13-14 Macs I have owned over the years none needed a repair that cost as much as the warranty.

Many people here have purchase Applecare off eBay. So if you want it go for it just make sure the seller is reputable.

As for the damage I could not say without pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. Some scars to one person may be extraordinary damage to others.

As for adjusting the hinges I do not know you can see if anything shows on http://www.ifixit.com here is a Macbook Guide it is probably pretty much the same with all macbooks.

Nevpaurion

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Seattle/Houston
In all honesty by the time I had saved enough money for my macbook, I didn't have nearly enough for their warranty. I think apple has probably the most expensive warranty I've ever seen to be honest. All in all it's great to have if you can afford it, but if you're the least bit tech savvy, treat your machine right, there shouldn't be any crippling problems with it until right about the time apple care waves bye bye.

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
my warranty expired a few weeks ago without me even thinking about it... i could have purchased apple care, and when i realized i was out of warranty, i almost wished i had... but it is very expensive, and i can't see my wonderful macbook having any problems in the near future.

All in all if you are gonna take decent care of your computer and know your way around it fairly well, I don't think it's really nescessary

LowMach

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
thanks for all the replies.

that ifixit link was great! i can get new hinges if needed..

the scars are not that noticeable. you have to look pretty close at the corners to see them.

i see both sides are coming in. tough decision this is. with the price of a logic board or display failure(about $400 each). i'm leaning towards the purchase of the applecare warranty off ebay. i have just a couple days to decide. if i had no warrant and the display or logic board failed then i would probably just get a new unit. uhm. the cost of the warranty could go towards the parts if needed. peace of mind sounds nice though and the warranty may assure nothing goes wrong. hahahaha. i'm back on the fence. sorry for rambling on...

i have never needed apple service on my notebook, but the service was outstanding on my iphone when needed.

thanks again for your opinions
-low

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.