Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
I was just curious if someone can give me the best possible advice on how to convert a .mkv movie file to play in iTunes.

I have bought visual hub, but not too sure of what settings to use. Also I read of this 4gb file limit; not too sure what to do about that.

Also when the .mkv movie file is finally in iTunes how does the quaility compare to the original? If it doesn't compare I'm thinking about holding out on all this converting and just burning the.mkv file to a blueray disk.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
If you don't need to convert it for compatibility reasons (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod, etc) and just want to organize it using iTunes, just load the mkv in Quicktime (with Perian) and once it is loaded, save it as a reference movie and add that to iTunes (which also stops it from needing to load for so long when you first open it)

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Search before you post, I personally have come too the conclusion that it is worthless to convert a .MKV to .MP4 as you do lose hell of alot of quality.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
If you don't need to convert it for compatibility reasons (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod, etc) and just want to organize it using iTunes, just load the mkv in Quicktime (with Perian) and once it is loaded, save it as a reference movie and add that to iTunes (which also stops it from needing to load for so long when you first open it)

I have tried to save as a reference movie, but Save As... is greyed out. Using QT 7 Pro... Has anyone else run across this?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Plenty

There are several apps that can do this, especially if the video is h.264. You can pull the raw video and audio out of the mkv and repackage it into a quicktime compatible mp4/m4v with absolutely no loss in quality

MKVtools is one

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
I was just curious if someone can give me the best possible advice on how to convert a .mkv movie file to play in iTunes.

I have bought visual hub, but not too sure of what settings to use. Also I read of this 4gb file limit; not too sure what to do about that.

Also when the .mkv movie file is finally in iTunes how does the quaility compare to the original? If it doesn't compare I'm thinking about holding out on all this converting and just burning the.mkv file to a blueray disk.

Handbrake, check out the apple tv section for more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.