Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsquash

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
A technician tested my optical drive and found it was set to Master..
My readings indicate if the optical drive is to be set to Master , then the Hard disk needs to be set to slave.
Changing the optical to slave seems very difficult, so,

How do I set the hDD jumpers to slave instead . I presume they exist?

I need a link and instructions as to how to perform this on my powerbook G4 1.67ghz

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Uhm - I really can't see what benefit you expect to get from doing this. I would strongly advise that you leave well alone - unless the computer is having a problem recognising one or other drive, in which case you should refer it to a qualified Apple service centre.

redsquash

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Uhm - I really can't see what benefit you expect to get from doing this. I would strongly advise that you leave well alone - unless the computer is having a problem recognising one or other drive, in which case you should refer it to a qualified Apple service centre.
My optical drive is not recognised because both HDD and optical drive are set to master .
One needs to be slave.There are no jumpers on the optical drive
Apple Japan charge a minimum$520 for any repair.Let me say that again ,,,,,,,,,,,$520 .........
Why should I leave well alone. I have not changed a notebook drive but it is only a matter of unscrewing and removing a ribbon cable
What part are you warning me against and why ?
Have you done this?
I Have no experience, except I have removed my optical drive 4 times in 3 days . Each attempt has been less nerve racking, though I think It is probably easy to damage the ribbon cables

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.