Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
Hello, I just purchased an External Blu-Ray Drive and wanted to know how to transfer from Blu-Ray to AppleTV?
I have used Handbrake for DVDs and it works great, does it work with blu-ray players?

If not, what program should I buy?

Thanks in advance.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I still don't understand the desire to do this. What is wrong with your Blu-Ray player?? 90% of the forum traffic is about ripping and encoding and pirating, etc.

I don't have issues with it all, but i dont really get it. How often do people watch the same movie? If you have the Blu-Ray, can't you just put it in the player and play it? I must be missing something. I have a Blu-Ray player that I use to watch Blu-Ray movies and an :apple:TV mostly to watch HD rentals and do some personal media viewing (pictures, home movies, music). I have yet to figure out the need to put other movies onto the AppleTV.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
My desire to do this is my wife and I sit down to watch movies and we want to browse and quickly watch. I despise FBI warnings and all the fluff that you are forced to sit and watch. We hit play and we're off to the 1st chapter. Browsing available movies and seeing descriptions, etc is nice when we're debating what we want to watch.

I have not bought any BR content entirely because I can't do this on my ATV. I won't go back to an annoying standalone player.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Makes sense.. thanks... though for me personally Blu-Ray quality is worth the hassle of putting the disc in the slot

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
At this time you can only rip Blu-Ray or HD in Windows (or perhaps Linux?)

For example, one such app is:
Slysoft AnyDVD hd

Runs on intel Macs.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
so, I guess people then are buying bunches of movies then slowly watching them over time? Sorry to be thick. I am such a renter, so I don't get this concept. I always buy a few movies when a new format comes out so I have something to demo, but then I stop when I realize that i rarely watch movies more than once (excluding the kids' movies that they watch over and over). I love browsing the AppleTV HD rentals section. I will never buy enough movies that I will have a list of movies I could have ripped and put on the AppleTV that I have not seen to make this benefit worth much.

Hence my confusion. But I guess I must underestimate how many movies people buy versus rent and how often people watch the same movie. That is why when AppleTV started offering HD Rentals, the utility of my AppleTV box skyrocketed. I think I even watch more Apple HD Rentals than I do rent Blu-Ray movies.

MWillis561

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Personally

My family personally watches a lot of movies over again. It's usually not the newer HD movies but generally the older ones like John Wayne's, Chick Flicks and of course all the movies my kid's love to watch. So the whole Blu-Ray/HD thing hasn't appealed enough to me yet. You got to love the whole HD rentals though. What a great idea.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Ummm have a look over at the handbrake forums.

the latest nightly builds do encode blu-ray so long as it's already ripped and decrypted which needs to be done in windows.

:)

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
yes you would need to use windows with anydvd hd, which im not sure but will prob rip to mkv but then convert that to an mo4 by passing through the h264 and converting the audio to aac, and make sure the file size is around 4GB and the bit rate is below 5mb/s.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
How can you possible put a bluray movie into less than 4gb?? Even my normal DVD rips are about that much.

I own anydvd HD and would put up with running it if I could then use HB to convert for the ATV, but I can't see how it could be possible to get that small. Isn't a BR disk about 30gb??

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
I have dl a few mkv's (usually about 4-8GB) if they are already around the 4GB mark i just pass-through, if they are more i run them through visual hub with the apple tv HD preset, apple tv can only take 720 so that and the audio to aac help shed most of the 'fat' and my tv is 40" so cant really see any difference in 720 or 1080 anyway, plus i would rather stick with 720 for storage reasons, i already have a 750GB full up with vids.

would ya mind telling me what you think of anydvd? what formats does it rip too? just mkv?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
How can you possible put a bluray movie into less than 4gb?? Even my normal DVD rips are about that much.

Depending on your encoding settings you could rip it to 1GB if you really wanted to. Believe me, Blue Ray ripped to 720p at 24 fps ( the atv's max ) looks awesome compared to a standard dvd. The better the source ... the better the finished encode. Will it look just like the original blue ray disk? No, not likely, you always lose something in compression.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Makes sense.. thanks... though for me personally Blu-Ray quality is worth the hassle of putting the disc in the slot

Have you watched anything from Disney on BD?

Turn on BD player. 30 seconds later, insert disc.

Wait for FBI warning to go off. 20 more seconds go by.

Skip through 15 previews and advertisements. If you're lucky, you get past that in about 30 seconds.

Then of course is the 15 seconds of "OOOOHHHH" with the fireworks and the big Disney logo.

Then the movie starts.

This is one of the prime reasons I started ripping DVDs to my computer. If the movie started instantly on a disc, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But the FBI bassturds have to get their warning in (does anybody who has ever seen a movie NOT know this crap?) and then the studios usually make you sit through a bunch of crap unless you know how to get past it (sometimes it's skip, others menu, some you have to fast-forward through).

I paid on average $20-25 for the Blu-ray Discs, and I didn't pay that much to sit through a bunch of crap. If I had the dough, I'd be ripping them for play on ATV and my iPhone. But alas, I don't have the $600 to buy the external one I saw.

</rant>

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
HA, that's pretty funny! I agree, all that stuff can be annoying. And to be honest, the kids mostly watch movies in the car. However, when they want to watch their Disney or other movies in the home theater, and I am going to watch with them, I will gladly sit through the "stuff" for the picture and audio quality of a Blu-Ray if available. Pop the disc in, go get your popcorn, watch a preview, make faces at the kids.

I said it was pretty funny because in the midst of threads about copying DVD's and Blu-Rays, which I think isn't legal, there is a complaint about the FBI warning. Just struck me as funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.