Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasmusschaal

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
In denmark, Århus
Hi, i now decided to buy my sister a new computer, to get her into macs instead of PCs.
Im going to buy her a strawberry (girl-colored) iMac G3.
It has never been cofigured in any way, so i need to know how to upgrade it so it will be able to run Tiger in a nice way. Also the circa cost of it.
Im gonna buy it next sunday, so please be quick to answer.

Love, Rasmus.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
specs? I think a G3 too old to run Tiger with a pleasant experience. My 2c.

My old 350 MHz iMac runs Tiger surprisingly well on 384MB RAM. It's only jobs are to run iTunes, FireFox and Mail though.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
My old 350 MHz iMac runs Tiger surprisingly well on 384MB RAM. It's only jobs are to run iTunes, FireFox and Mail though.

Depends on what well means, if this is how he plans to introduce her to Macs, using a chip 3-gens behind, then she is NOT gonna have a pleasant experience. Unless she 1) doesn't have a computer 2) has a crappier/slower PC.

rasmusschaal

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
In denmark, Århus
Depends on what well means, if this is how he plans to introduce her to Macs, using a chip 3-gens behind, then she is NOT gonna have a pleasant experience. Unless she 1) doesn't have a computer 2) has a crappier/slower PC.

First of all it happens to be the fact that she got a very crappy pc!
But otherwise, i am going to introduce her to the Mac OS X, and the unlimited acces it gives. Then when she gets confirmated she is going to buy a macbook if she likes OS X, which she already does from trying my macbook.
Just thought it would be a good idea, to let her try to have her own mac.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Price of iMac, from Craigslist, anywhere from free (rare), but usually $50 to $100 depends on what it has in it.

For info on older macs, go to everymac.com

Btw, it's not 3 generation older, it's approaching 10 years old. Will be ok for basic usage for someone who doesn't have computer.

But the iMac g3s doesn't have usb 2.0, so sync with iPod, external usb drive will be extremely slow.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
First of all it happens to be the fact that she got a very crappy pc!
But otherwise, i am going to introduce her to the Mac OS X, and the unlimited acces it gives. Then when she gets confirmated she is going to buy a macbook if she likes OS X, which she already does from trying my macbook.
Just thought it would be a good idea, to let her try to have her own mac.

If you live at the same house, maybe give her an account on your laptop and have her use it when you are not. Save yourself the money and just put it towards towards her next computer.

Of course, it is all up to you. We are just playing the devil's advocates. :D

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
iMac if buy from Craigslist, anywhere from free (rare), $50 to $100 depends on what it has in it.

For info on older macs, go to everymac.com

Btw, it's not 3 generation older, it's 10 years old. Will be ok, but doesn't have usb 2.0, so sync with iPod will be extremely slow.

I said the chip was 3 gens old:
Intel Core Duo (Consider all CD/CD2 one gen) - current
G5 - last gen
G4 - 2 gens ago
G3 - 3 gens ago :)

rasmusschaal

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
In denmark, Århus
If you live at the same house, maybe give her an account on your laptop and have her use it when you are not. Save yourself the money and just put it towards towards her next computer.

Of course, it is all up to you. We are just playing the devil's advocates. :D

The problem is just, btw we tried it, that i just my computer so much!
And having an account on anothers mac, is just not the same. i happen to know that for a fact.
dont misunderstand me, im very grateful for your answers!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
The problem is just, btw we tried it, that i just my computer so much!
And having an account on anothers mac, is just not the same. i happen to know that for a fact.
dont misunderstand me, im very grateful for your answers!

If Consultant says you can find if for under $150, then you should go for it!

And you are very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.