Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
What DVD cleaner disc can I use for this? Its not reading all my dvds so I figure it just needs a clean.

Ive read on the back of a few cleaners that it shouldnt be used for DVD roms. Not sure if thats important when it comes to Laptops. Also most just give instructions for a dvd player.

Basically I dont want to stick something in my pretty little laptop and mess it up for good.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Oh lovely. Is that something i can do or is it a professional service?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Oh lovely. Is that something i can do or is it a professional service?

Do you have AppleCare/warranty? If you do you can probably get them to give you a replacement drive; of course they will test the drive to see if it's really bad or it's your media.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I dont im afraid. Although may always be worth a ring. Thanks for your help.
Do you have AppleCare/warranty? If you do you can probably get them to give you a replacement drive; of course they will test the drive to see if it's really bad or it's your media.

Thanks for the link. Its downloading now.
merl1n said:
It is not difficult to do.
Here is a video to show you how to do it...
http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm
Just click on the Optical Drive Tab and select the MBP below.

May be ill find out when this vid dls although would a replacement cost a lot?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I dont im afraid. Although may always be worth a ring. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the link. Its downloading now.

May be ill find out when this vid dls although would a replacement cost a lot?

Check that out on their website. Their prices are some of the lowest around, excellent warranties, good support. I buy a lot from them (memory, hard drives, etc.)

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
That video was excellent thanks. Looks easy enough.
So whats the best way I could go about cleaning the drive once its out?

Or is it simply time to buy another?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA

Or is it simply time to buy another?

That's hard to answer. You can try compressed air as was suggested earlier. If the laser is out of alignment, that could be causing the problem or if you are a smoker (like I am) the laser could be covered with nicotine or tar.

If you have the guts to physically open the optical drive, you could try cleaning the laser (if you can get to it) with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. I myself have never done this and I don't know if it can be done from recollection. The case itself may be riveted together preventing opening it (I just don't remember if this is the case or not).

I would try the compressed air first and after reassembling your MBP try it with the DVDs giving you problems. If you are still having problems, replace it with a new one from OWC.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Use compressed air; use short bursts. wipe dust from around the drive; use rubbing alcohol or a slightly moist cloth; be sure to dry it; then replace the drive and see if it works; if it doesn't it may mean you need a new drive.

Try cleaning first, it's free (or cheap). And don't use a vacuum.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Excellent. Ill order the air (!) and some fancy screw drivers.

really appreciate the help guys. Thank you.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Am i being stupid or do they not have a listing for a SuperDrive for a macbook pro?

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Also just looking on the Apple Discussion boards and some people have used DVD lens cleaners.

So, can I use a lens cleaner?..

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
is the machine still under warranty OP? IF it is, i wouldnt even mess with opening up the computer, come on.

Take it to apple, let them take a look, bring your dvd's.

three1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Thanks Merlin. Im in England though, so ideally id like to find a company over here.

Its out of warranty. After sticking in a disc i apparently wasnt supposed to use its working fine. Might only be temporary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.