Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoabSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Hi All,

My Ipod Touch screen has died ... ( only the actual touch part )

Never done anything that could have caused it.

The screen still display's fine but it appears that the actual touch function has died, It connects fine with Itunes and i can put files across to it no problem but cannot unlock it as touch function no longer works. Contacted apple though they're website to be told not covered by warranty ( i don't understand as it is within the first years warranty, I'm in UK but the touch was purchased in Dubai on November 1st 2007, so still within the first years manufacturers warranty.

Any Ideas??

Thank you.

BoabSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Ipod touch - dead screen.

use disk utility
try a manual restart
full restore through iTunes

one or more of these. Good luck!

Hi I have tried Manual Restart ( holding power and home button until restart & and after restart while connected to itunes, then it does full restore )

Still no luck, but what is Disk Utility ?? Is this a Mac utility? I use windows XP.

Many Thanks

Mark.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Contacted apple though they're website to be told not covered by warranty .

That's really bizarre. I think they must have misunderstood you as how could it NOT be covered by the warranty within the warranty period????

I mean it's called the TOUCH. It's THE main selling point of the device.

I'd contact them again.

Mike

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
That's really bizarre. I think they must have misunderstood you as how could it NOT be covered by the warranty within the warranty period????

I mean it's called the TOUCH. It's THE main selling point of the device.

I'd contact them again.

Mike

ya, I'm pretty sure they'll fix that, just bring it in to the store..

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
Contacted apple though they're website to be told not covered by warranty ( i don't understand as it is within the first years warranty,).

Sounds like you got put through to the Douche Division.
Take it to an Apple store. They'll replace it for you. They replaced my one which was from the US of A and I live in England.

I'm sure I've seen a video of this somewhere.
search:

the fingers they do nothing iphone in YouTube.

BoabSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Ipod Touch - Touch Screen Dead

Thanks for the reply guys.

Well, today i have witnessed the best customer service i have ever seen, in the shape of the apple store (glasgow)

I went in with my ipod as above ( no receipt may i add as it was a birthday present and bought from dubai ). guy that served me had a look and said the screen was totally dead, no problem sir, i'll just swap the screen out for you, it'll take 5 mins.

He then shouts me over and explains a slight problem in that there are 4 countries that are not covered by the UK warranty, so he was unable to repair the ipod. (UAE being one of the 4)

5 mins later i left the store with a brand new ipod touch, plus the software addons with the mail etc which i did not have on my original touch ( and gave me a new receipt )

It left me utterly gobsmacked.

Well done Apple 10/10. Amazing.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that since it was purchased in the UAE that there was no warranty covering repair in the UK, BUT that they did give you a new one instead?

Seems like a strange way of doing business but it's great that you got your problem solved.

BoabSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that since it was purchased in the UAE that there was no warranty covering repair in the UK, BUT that they did give you a new one instead?

Seems like a strange way of doing business but it's great that you got your problem solved.

Yip, that was exactly the case, The guy in the shop could give no real answer as to why there is 4 countries not covered by the UK warranty.

I was amazed when he just gave me a new touch.

Outstanding!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.