Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Well, a few of you might remember my other threads about my iBook having problems charging, and sparking. Now, I have just heard bad news from the local Apple retailer who were going to see what was wrong.

My HDD is dead. They say it wont spin. I have lost almost 700 songs, over 700 pictures, including pictures from an end of the year class trip, and countless hours of playing Sims 2.

I need to get that stuff back. I would love to get my data back so I can put it on my future mac. Any tips or recommendations, as the only option would cost about $1000, which is a little high.....:(

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Try to borrow an identical drive that works and replace electronics. That's about the only thing you can do. If it doesn't help, I'm afraid the only choice you have left is to find a company that deals with these problems, but it's going to cost you.

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I have taken a corrupt HD and stuck it in an external enclosure via USB and been able to get the data off of it. Now if the drive won't spin at all then you are still SOL but that is the only "cheap" option I can suggest to you. It may be worth the $10-$20 just to try it out.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Well, a few of you might remember my other threads about my iBook having problems charging, and sparking. Now, I have just heard bad news from the local Apple retailer who were going to see what was wrong.

My HDD is dead. They say it wont spin. I have lost almost 700 songs, over 700 pictures, including pictures from an end of the year class trip, and countless hours of playing Sims 2.

I need to get that stuff back. I would love to get my data back so I can put it on my future mac. Any tips or recommendations, as the only option would cost about $1000, which is a little high.....:(

drivesavers.com

You can always do it yourself too. I've heard stories of people getting their hands on the same make and model hard drive and swapping the platters over. You have to do it in a clean room. So plan on building a plexiglass box with holes to insert gloves.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I have taken a corrupt HD and stuck it in an external enclosure via USB and been able to get the data off of it. Now if the drive won't spin at all then you are still SOL but that is the only "cheap" option I can suggest to you. It may be worth the $10-$20 just to try it out.

I might try that..... It seems like it could work.

Try to borrow an identical drive that works and replace electronics. That's about the only thing you can do. If it doesn't help, I'm afraid the only choice you have left is to find a company that deals with these problems, but it's going to cost you.
drivesavers.com

You can always do it yourself too. I've heard stories of people getting their hands on the same make and model hard drive and swapping the platters over. You have to do it in a clean room. So plan on building a plexiglass box with holes to insert gloves.

I dont think I want to try that.:eek: If I could get someone else to do it.....

krye, I looked at that link, and I think that I will give them a call. Thank you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.