Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
just got my APTV yesterday (and a freebie gift at that) and let me tell you it runs like butter. i got the 40gig version so i guess i will just be streaming my own stuff and will only be using the space for rentals.

i only encountered a few glitches when i was trying to access my itunes account from it (i got the dreaded "account or password is not recognized" error message) but after searching for a solution here, a quick software update solved the problem.

also, synching with my stuff from my MBP slowed things down so i went back and opted not to sync. streaming saved the day!...and boy, is it fast!!! I have N.

rented national treasure 2 HD which took a little more than 45 mins to download (was able to play it halfway through.).

picture quality? i tried it both on my 32" sony bravia and my benq w500 projector via HDMI..."it's awesome!" is an understatement. although picture is a little downgraded from bluray, it's still high definition and it's still a lot better than regular dvd and cable hd at that. i believe this is not a hardware issue but a software one. pretty soon movie companies are able to use better compression...can't wait.

so canadians, consider yourselves lucky, we now have a full-pledged appletv.

this is just my 2 cents. ;-)

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Congrats northern neighbors. Make yourself a big plate of poutine, sit back and enjoy. Lucky you with the 48hr deal too.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
just got my APTV yesterday (and a freebie gift at that) and let me tell you it runs like butter.

i only encountered a few glitches when i was trying to access my itunes account from it (i got the dreaded "account or password is not recognized" error message) but after searching for a solution here, a quick software update solved the problem.

also, synching with my stuff from my MBP slowed things down so i went back and opted not to sync. streaming saved the day!...and boy, is it fast!!! I have N.

rented national treasure 2 HD which took a little more than 45 mins to download (was able to play it halfway through.).

picture quality? i tried it both on my 32" sony bravia and my benq w500 projector via HDMI..."it's awesome!" is an understatement. although picture is a little downgraded from bluray, it is still high definition and it's still a lot better that regular dvd and cable hd at that. i believe this is not a hardware issue but a software one. pretty soon movie companies are able to use better compression...can't wait.

this is just my 2 cents. ;-)

I could not agree more its amazing.

adrianseto

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Do folks in Canada access the same itunes store as the US? In other words, if I have a Canadian based credit card I can buy from US itunes store??

Thanks.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Do folks in Canada access the same itunes store as the US? In other words, if I have a Canadian based credit card I can buy from US itunes store??

Thanks.

No, but you can create a US account without a US credit card, so you can have the best of both "worlds" ;-)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The Apple TV is good stuff, eh? :)

I have loved my Apple TV in the few months I have had it. I find myself using it and iTunes more and more as a repository for DVD files that I have ripped and converted to MP4 with Handbrake. Although I bought it because it would allow me to rent HD movies, I don’t do that much anymore because I don’t like the 24 hour limit on finishing a movie once I have started watching it. That’s the motion industry’s paranoia at work and not Apple’s fault, of course, but it is still a pain in the fanny.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Congrats northern neighbors. Make yourself a big plate of poutine, sit back and enjoy. Lucky you with the 48hr deal too.
While sitting here in front of the computer after shovelling the driveway, chomping on my poutine. I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
While sitting here in front of the computer after shovelling the driveway, chomping on my poutine. I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?

If the content in the Canadian store is not sufficient for you, just go to the US store...no problem ;-)

BobF4321

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?

Not that much yet, but my main interest is HD movies, and I'm having fun revisiting old movies now available in HD. Plus the rental is cheaper than Rogers, and I can trade in Air Miles for iTunes gift cards, making rentals "free".

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Not that much yet, but my main interest is HD movies, and I'm having fun revisiting old movies now available in HD. Plus the rental is cheaper than Rogers, and I can trade in Air Miles for iTunes gift cards, making rentals "free".

ok..i just went HEMMMM?? trade airmiles in for itunes gift cards? me is going to check that out right away...after i finish my breakfast poutine and beavertail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.