Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donjao

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Hello everyone.

I'm a mac user for half a year so far. Before that I was pure pc user for about 8 years. Was working on Windows OS.

Anyways, recently I've made a design for my site and it looked very well. Colors were correct when on a Mac. But I wanted to check it out how it would look on a PC. I was shocked! Colors were darker!

I realize that this is color settings issue. I went to PS color settings and RGB was set to sRGB, while Leopard was using the Cinema HD color profile. So Mac automatically switched to Cinema HD color profile, while in PS i was working with sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

I've switched to Cinema HD color profile in PS, published site. And on PC it became even more darker. Now I changed my Leopard's color settings to Cinema HD. Colors look pretty much the same. But hell, i'm not sure that it's correct way.

My question is, If there are some professionals, who do Web Designing for Macs and PCs, could you please advice me, on how to set this thing up. To get everything working correctly, so my work would look the same, no matter what machine i'm looking it on.

Thanks in advance.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Happens very often, it's usually after applying styles and rasterising layers (depending on your Mac and PShop ver.), try it, good luck.

donjao

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Happens very often, it's usually after applying styles and rasterising layers (depending on your Mac and PShop ver.), try it, good luck.

Hey. Thanks for replay.

I'm using Photoshop CS3 and my Mac is 2008 Mac Pro (2 x 2.8 GHz, 8800 GT, 6Gb Ram + 23" ACD).

Concerning rasterizing. No. I got 3 layers, merged into one. Color remains after a merge. When I save it to the JPG file view it as a prat of my site in Safari, i see the difference. Even if I open that JPG with Preview, i see the difference between working space in photoshop and what Preview shows me.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Merging is a form of rasterising (maybe not technically :) and it affects the colors. Try rasterising and then merging, had the problem in the past but haven't run across it lately.
Using CS3 and 2005 Mac Pro Dual 2.5 (with dual intercoolers!)

donjao

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Merging is a form of rasterising (maybe not technically :) and it affects the colors. Try rasterising and then merging, had the problem in the past but haven't run across it lately.
Using CS3 and 2005 Mac Pro Dual 2.5 (with dual intercoolers!)

I can't rasterize - the option is grayed out.

Anyways, I'll try to explain a bit more clear. Photoshop is set to sRGB color profile, Leopard is set to use Cinema HD color profile. Now, when I work in photoshop, color looks correct. After I open the saved image with a Preview or Safari - it's different. I've attached the screenshot.

Attachments

• delme.jpg
    delme.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 259

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
You may have to change to CMYK, sorry I can't help you further but I'm at home using my iMac and the 30HD/dual G5 is at work, experiment, experiment, experiment hmmm developer, developer, developer - sorry had a couple - it's midnight in - in - the hand of lilk and money -= I tink

donjao

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
You may have to change to CMYK, sorry I can't help you further but I'm at home using my iMac and the 30HD/dual G5 is at work, experiment, experiment, experiment hmmm developer, developer, developer - sorry had a couple - it's midnight in - in - the hand of lilk and money -= I tink

Thanks for at least trying. The only thing I have to do - experiment. For now.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Photoshop
Export image to web
embed color profile

You need to get a monitor calibrator on all computers that you are doing critical color work. PCs typically are poorly set up for color work out of the box.

It will not look the same on different computers (unless the monitors are calibrated), because vast majority of computers are not calibrated.

BTW, CMYK is for commercial printing, and it's not what the OP should use. Please don't offer suggestions that are completely useless. It's like the people who give you random (wrong) directions because they are tryingto be helpful. But if you don't know, say you don't know so it won't waste everybody's time.

donjao

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Photoshop
Export image to web
embed color profile

You need to get a monitor calibrator on all computers that you are doing critical color work. PCs typically are poorly set up for color work out of the box.

It will not look the same on different computers (unless the monitors are calibrated), because vast majority of computers are not calibrated.

BTW, CMYK is for commercial printing, and it's not what the OP should use. Please don't offer suggestions that are completely useless. It's like the people who give you random (wrong) directions because they are tryingto be helpful. But if you don't know, say you don't know so it won't waste everybody's time.

Hey. Thanks for your reply.

Actually, there's no option to embed profile when you're saving to JPG and PNG file formats. Embedding ICC is possible only for JPG, but this isn't it actually.

I've posted this problem on Adobe's forums and actually there's no chance to get it identical. Macs use 1.8 gamma when PCs 2.2. That's it. Of course I could calibrate my monitor to match the PCs screen but then all Macs would have lighter designs. I just need to check my works both on Macs and PCs to see if result is acceptable.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Hey. Thanks for your reply.

Actually, there's no option to embed profile when you're saving to JPG and PNG file formats. Embedding ICC is possible only for JPG, but this isn't it actually.

I've posted this problem on Adobe's forums and actually there's no chance to get it identical. Macs use 1.8 gamma when PCs 2.2. That's it. Of course I could calibrate my monitor to match the PCs screen but then all Macs would have lighter designs. I just need to check my works both on Macs and PCs to see if result is acceptable.

There's nothing wrong with going with 2.2 gamma, even if you're
using a Mac. Many pros recommend that. You will notice that some
elements of Leopard's UI are not color-managed, but the important
stuff, your work, should be.

Your best bet for getting a nearish match for PCs and Macs would be
to embed an sRGB profile. If you don't, then Safari will interpret the
image in your monitor color space.

I happen to think it's a colossal error that Safari does that. Untagged
images should be intepreted as if they were tagged with sRGB. That
is more likely to be a better match than any other color space. In fact,
many of the online images you see were originally sRGB tagged and
then stripped during exporting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.