Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Here's my speakeasy result. I'll give the speedtest server a try also. I'm on a gigabit connection at my workstation, but it looks like my company needs to upgrade some of teh tubes™.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
We're paying for 3 mbps, so i guess this isn't too bad. (Although ridiculous at $149.99 per month) I'm not exactly sure what kind of connection it is. All I know is it uses an antennae to receive the signal.

EDIT: Yep, it's just like me to forget to upload the screenshot. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 141

mithrilfox

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Japan

Japan YahooBB, ADSL. I didn't choose the highest speed offered simply because I didn't believe it would really make much difference. DSL and ADSL are both distance sensitive, so buying the higher bandwidth, more expensive package is often times a waste of money -- you can't go faster than what your distance from the DSLAM allows.

MacDuck

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
I pay for 12 Mb cable connection from Comcast (over Airport Extreme wireless N). Not bad, given what I pay ($50). Only complaint is the throttling and snooping.:mad:

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 553

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
On Virgin Cable in the UK - supposed to be 20mb so pretty happy with the speed. It's being upgraded to 50mb some time this year too :D

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 473

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I hope everyone remembers, that these speed tests do not measure sustained throughput.

If you want to see what your DL speed truly is, then you can try this.

Go to the Apple website and DL Mac OS 9.2.1 North American update. It is 82MB in size. Time how long it takes to DL this file from the Apple website.

Here would be my speed criteria:

Reasonable --> 3 minutes or less

Decent --> 1 minute or less

Fast --> 10 seconds or less

BTW, my friend's service was FTTH (100Mbps) which averaged 9 seconds, with the fastest being 7 seconds and the slowest being 12 seconds. Cost was $40 per month.

I have cheap ADSL which costs me about $25 per month. I just DL'ed the file in under 1 minute -- about 58 seconds.

That is good enough for me and worth the price. I could upgrade to faster ADSL (VDSL) service, but it would cost me about $45 per month. Unfortunately, in my area, I cannot get FTTH.

Oh, and the speed tests never give an accurate reading of my actual speed.

Smc1978

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Suposidly 20Mbit with Virgin Media UK .. Hopefully being upgraded to 50mbit by the end of july .. so it'll be more like proper 20mbit :p

Attachments

• speedresults.jpg
    speedresults.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 455
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.