Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yomi.odeleye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
hi every one. am new to mac ox s. have just got a mac book pro. the problem is , i have had it on for two days runing and have just restart it. now the laptop is not even booting up. if i press the ON button to turn it back on, a message will come on the screen that say "you need to restart you computer. hold down to the power button for several seconds or press the restart button". Have done all of the instuction but the same message keep poping up. what can i do? can any body help me with what to do?

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Sounds like you're getting a kernel panic on startup. The RAM is probably faulty. Take it in and get some new RAM.

Can anyone confirm this? My RAM is only 2 months old I am am under warranty but want to know if this is true first!

I have this same problem - but I can still boot into Windows (even though I hate windows I must still use it on occasion)

I am getting the "Please restart.." message everytime I try to boot into Mac OS X. Any Help is appreciated!
Thanks

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Can anyone confirm this? My RAM is only 2 months old I am am under warranty but want to know if this is true firs

We don't have access to your Mac. The only way to confirm if this is true or not, is to get it sent in for service and diagnosed.

One thing CAN be confirmed though: clearly something is wrong and it prevents you from using your Mac. If a re-install of OS X won't cure the problem (or cures it only for a very short period of time), then you need to have someone at Apple look at it for you.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I know that Mac's aren't suppose to get viruses but could this be a virus?

yomi.odeleye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
solution

well. i think this is one of the problem with the new mac ox s. To fix this problem, you will have to install you mac ox s again. Good news is, there is a way that you can do it with out lossing any of you file. For this to work you dont have to format your hard drive and follow this insturction.
  • boot up your system and put in the disc
  • follow through all the steps
  • you will get to the part that say sellect were you want to install the software
  • plx select your hard drive
  • there should be a yellow triangle on ur hd saying that something is on it
  • dont worry about that, just double click on it
  • this is the mosiportant thing. A box should pop up
  • if you can comfirm that plx select the second option. in this case you will not loss any thing
  • from there on just follow the normal steps
This should solved the problem with out you lossing your data. this is wot i did to my system and is working well now. if any problem holla at me :) :apple:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Reinstalling is a bad idea. It almost certainly won't fix the problem and could make it worse. If additional RAM has been installed in this Mac, which apparently it has, it should be removed. If the Mac boots after removing the RAM, the problem has been solved. If it doesn't, then we go to the next step.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Reinstalling was the only possible solution for me and it worked 100% I still have all my files and everything.

Buying more RAM would not have solved my problem as I stated I could run vista on bootcamp just fine.

If anyone else has a similar experience I suggest an Archive and Install not just running out to buy RAM, thought that may be the problem in your case.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Reinstalling was the only possible solution for me and it worked 100% I still have all my files and everything.

Buying more RAM would not have solved my problem as I stated I could run vista on bootcamp just fine.

If anyone else has a similar experience I suggest an Archive and Install not just running out to buy RAM, thought that may be the problem in your case.

I'm pretty sure nobody meant to go out and buy new ram. Sometimes Apple ships out computers with faulty ram and all that happens is that it must be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.