Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verygood85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I am going to buy my first firewire interface. I have a macbook pro with 2.5GHz, and I have Logic Pro now. I am going to buy Pro Tools LE later.
I was considering M-Audio 1814 because it can work with Logic and Pro Tools. However, I heard that 1814 crases many people's computer, so I don't think I will buy it.
I heard Motu 8 pre is a good one, but it can't work on Pro Tools.
Pro Tools can only work with Digidesign hardware and some M-Audio hardware for recording. However, is there any other ones can also work with Pro Tools?
Can Digidesign hardware like 003 rack work with other recording software such as Logic Pro?

I am looking for a good firewire interface with at least 8 inputs and 2 or more outputs that can work with Logic Pro and Pro Tools. However, I know there might not be one, so any other suggestions would be good too.
My budget is kind of small, but I will consider the ones that are not in my budget range if I have to do it in order to get what I want.

By the way, what about RME 400 or 800?
Their review are good, but a little too expensive...

But RME 800 can only record 4 mics at a time, isn't it?
What if I want more mic inputs?

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
Why do you want to switch to Pro Tools? Are you going to be collaborating with other people that use it? Also, how many tracks will you be recording at once? Some interfaces can only record 2 tracks simultaneously, others 4, and others (like the MOTU 8pre) can record 8 tracks at once. The 8pre is a solid unit, and if you pair it up with Logic Pro, you'll have a great combination of hardware and software.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Can Digidesign hardware like 003 rack work with other recording software such as Logic Pro?

yes.

I am looking for a good firewire interface with at least 8 inputs and 2 or more outputs that can work with Logic Pro and Pro Tools.

then you're looking at the 003, assuming you want to run the LE version of PT.

why do you need both DAWs? it'd be easier to pick one and go with it.

verygood85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Why do you want to switch to Pro Tools? Are you going to be collaborating with other people that use it? Also, how many tracks will you be recording at once? Some interfaces can only record 2 tracks simultaneously, others 4, and others (like the MOTU 8pre) can record 8 tracks at once. The 8pre is a solid unit, and if you pair it up with Logic Pro, you'll have a great combination of hardware and software.

I'm using logic for myself now, but Pro Tools is more like the industry standard, so I wanna be familiar with it in case I will need to use it in other studios in the industry. Even though, I don't need the that many tracks for now, but I might record something in live later. I think I would still wanna do most things on Logic, and Pro Tools LE will just for practicing using Pro Tools.
Is Motu 8 pre better than 003 rack?

verygood85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
By the way, what about RME 400 or 800?
Their review are good, but a little too expensive...

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
they are awesome cards.
if i was in your position i would snatch one those up over a motu.

also like what everyone else said
choose 1 daw and stick to it.

unless your doing work in multiple daws then get pro tools.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Pro Tools LE will just for practicing using Pro Tools.

instead of getting digi hardware as your sole piece, you can buy one of the mbox's. i love the PT software, but i think the hardware is overpriced for what you get.

if Logic is your main DAW, spend your hardware money on something better like on RME, Metric Halo, or Apogee.

verygood85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
they are awesome cards.
if i was in your position i would snatch one those up over a motu.

also like what everyone else said
choose 1 daw and stick to it.

unless your doing work in multiple daws then get pro tools.
Are you talking about RME?

verygood85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
instead of getting digi hardware as your sole piece, you can buy one of the mbox's. i love the PT software, but i think the hardware is overpriced for what you get.

if Logic is your main DAW, spend your hardware money on something better like on RME, Metric Halo, or Apogee.

Good idea!
Actually, I don't know every single detail of the product description. That's part of the reason I strugge with to buy.:(
But which ones has more mic inputs?
Is it better to invest a lot of money on the very first one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.