Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Are the prices subsidized?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Steve never mentioned if these were subsidized prices or not. Could these possibly be non-subsidy prices?

Monty1

macrumors member
May 8, 2008
New york City
Question

How will you purchase a 2 year contract with your iphone on the apple online website? I don't understand how this works.

Also is the keynote over? I thought they said they were going to be talking about snow leopard?:confused:

Alec

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
Has anyone noticed that on the US store it says on the requirements:

AT&T service
(minimum two-year agreement)

on UK store it only says:

Wireless service

I think UK are getting unlocked phones!!!!

good point actually, its actually illegal in europe to sell a phone with out the option of buying it sim free, or unlocked.......maybe europe will be getting sim free phones!

spinko

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
N hemisphere
So it's still locked ???

that's really a bummer.. if they sold them without having to be bound to a carrier, I would go out and get one even if it where more expensive.. i don't like the idea of jailbraking them..
:confused:

edit: why doesn't Apple include a microSD slot ?? bugs me

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I believe that this confirms the handset is now subsidised and can only be purchased on contract.

The reason being that a mobile phone contract in the UK amounts to a credit agreement and can only be sold once the salesperson has the proper authorizaton (very basic, but still must be done). O2 and CPW staff will have this, but apple staff will not, hence apple not being listed as a seller in the UK.

Or, to put it somewhat more succinctly; Arse.

Yep, it will be available at the Apple Stores here in the US, but won't surprise me if Apple and AT&T set up a B2B (Business-To-Business) website where Apple Store employees can sign you up for Wireless service before you leave the store...

kungming2

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Get ready, upwards-of-$100K/year-salary-earning business people --- you're gonna hear those words uttered the world over!!

And how are you gonna look (your image, your reputation etc etc etc) checking your corporate email on the same device some teeny bopper is using to beat his high score on PacMan?!!! Hilarious.

Keep your blackberrys. They're still pretty much immune to teenager-itis!!

Or Super Monkeyball.

As for blackberries, I see many fellow students at Princeton using them just for checking facebook and sending texts that begin with "omg... you know what happened?" sort of stuff. So it is not merely a corporate thing.

collegedu3

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Something just occurred to me. Every year Apple has given away free iPods to college/university students in the summer to clear out old stock to make way for the new iPods released each fall. Assuming that the iPhone 3g is sold unlocked, perhaps they're giving away the iPod touch this year with the plan of replacing it completely with the iPhone.

Unlikely. Unless Apple starts selling iPhones unlocked and with the option of NOT using the phone part, Apple will continue to sell their iPod touch product. The iPod touch is a fantastic all around media player; there are many people who still want that and a basic phone.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
iPhone 3G, not for everyone

1. Still not the greatest phone service. AT&T drops out when I sit on my couch, or my fiance's couch. Seems like certain furniture doesn't bode well for wireless connectivity. It also drops out at BWI airport at the luggage terminal. What sense is that?

2. Still no flip camera, which means no videochat.

3. Still among the most bulky phones in terms of length/width. A folding OLED display would have allowed them to make it fit in a smaller space.
Sure it is thinner. Still can't remove battery for when service needs to be reset which seems to happen every so often with my other phones.

4. Service still costs as much.

5. MobileMe, right, I still find that their sendmail service goes down quite frequently. And extra storage, and the bandwidth still not increased, and what do you get? Dropped connections.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
i cant wait to see how much it'll be in germany i bet they'll just get rid of the $ and add a € HOW MEAN i must say

im also kinda disappointed mostly bc of the freaking 2 MP camera. Imagining your friends asking u how much it has and u answer with 2 while their freaking 1 year old phones have at least 5 MP but besides this im satisfied and cant wait for july

i hope the contract will remain the same cuz i dont really want to pay more then 49 euro but i have my doubts considering it uses 3G which dataplan is more expensive

http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/

At least you can buy it - still nothing here in Denmark :eek:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
guys stop the whining.;)
They are offering a better product and slashed the prices big time.

The plastic is maybe a letdown, but we have to look at the product to have a final conclusion, plus in my case, I would buy a protect cover, so it won't be visible anyway.

Sure I would love 32 gig but that's coming maybe in few months. For the price this thing rocks. I would not expect another iPhone 3.0 in at least 1 year from now. But with this price, I don't care to upgrade it later anyway.

Kudos for Apple!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
that's really a bummer.. if they sold them without having to be bound to a carrier, I would go out and get one even if it where more expensive.. i don't like the idea of jailbraking them..
:confused:

Some countries will have them available unlocked (like they do now) but the price will be much higher to include no subsidy, and the money Apple and the carrier looses from not providing service.

milaround

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Disappointments:
- No mention of copy & paste in iPhone Software 2.0
- MobileMe/.mac is horrendously overpriced - basically it appears to let you sync some information over the air rather than using iTunes. Hardly a compelling offering.
- iPhone no longer sold via apple.com (presumably because of the subsidy arrangements)
- iPhone Drive Capacity
- AT&T rate plans are ominously absent from the Apple website. The smart money would be on higher monthly charges IMO.

Source, or GTFO.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
will the keyboard turn horizontal when writing text messages? Also, I saw something about cut and paste with MS office docs but what about cut and paste from the web?

Find someone with a developers kit or sdk and it can, all it is , is a simple boolean expression. One of the other programmers I work with , has already tried it. But apple is using the push email and will not change this. $$$$$$

gmoney550

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
SUCKS for u 1st generation buyers. Within seconds your iphones were worth $340 on ebay, and now they've depreciated 2 about $100. hehehe sucks for u guys.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Hmm as I read it, it doesn't have proper GPS - isn't A-GPS what e.g. Nokia phones have had for 2-3 years, meaning it can ONLY base your position on cell antennas - no satellite GPS reception? If it had real GPS I suspect Steve would have demonstrated that more thoroughly...

It does have real GPS, just like nokia phones. the cell reception compliments the satellite signal.

bobertian

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I believe that this confirms the handset is now subsidised and can only be purchased on contract.

The reason being that a mobile phone contract in the UK amounts to a credit agreement and can only be sold once the salesperson has the proper authorizaton (very basic, but still must be done). O2 and CPW staff will have this, but apple staff will not, hence apple not being listed as a seller in the UK.

Or, to put it somewhat more succinctly; Arse.
sorry, there's no way that the Regent Street store and the other apple stores in the UK aren't going to sell the 3G iPhone. I can 100% guarantee they will be sold in store and online. They had all 6 options (02, CPW, Apple Store and their online equivalents) until just a few minutes ago on the where to buy site as well:confused:

the REAL question is going to be.... where's the subsidy? will you pay full price for an unlocked iPhone at the Point of Sale and then get a rebate if you sign with o2 thru iTunes?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Apple is digging themselves a hole...huge price cut every 6 months or so and with memory upgrade.

So what's the point of upgrading your phone when cheaper and better is coming in 6 months?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And how are you gonna look (your image, your reputation etc etc etc) checking your corporate email on the same device some teeny bopper is using to beat his high score on PacMan?!!! Hilarious.

Who the F cares!? :confused:

You're talking about adults? Seriously? You're making this up, right?

You see a teenager driving a Ford so you feel bad that you own one?

Again...seriously?

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Get ready, upwards-of-$100K/year-salary-earning business people --- you're gonna hear those words uttered the world over!!

Keep your blackberrys. They're still pretty much immune to teenager-itis!!

I think a better question would be "how are you gonna look using an (arguably) inferior device only because it has a more diverse functionality than the other more popular option?"

Seriously, other than image, physical keyboard, and WindozeM, what is RIM offering that iPhone can't deliver?

thaitillidie

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
think!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Steve never mentioned if these were subsidized prices or not. Could these possibly be non-subsidy prices?

lol...dude, I REALLY don't mean to be condescending but...consider what you're getting for $199 and that'll answer your question lol!!

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I kept waiting for Steve to go "oh, and one more thing..." for the front side camera to do video iChat. Guess I'm not canceling my Verizon contract after all.

You know, how do you plan to use that feature with 95+% of the cellphone users out there, who do not have a phone capable of video-chitchatting? Besides, it's not at all practical. Could be nice at times but in reality video-powered calling is overrated. Just use a computer if you really want to see your loved ones while talking over a distance.

I say it's not prime time for mobile video-conferencing, yet. At least when we exclude Japan as the tech-crazy feature-leader in Asia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.