Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I'm making the "switch" because OS X is amazing. However, even the high end iMac will fall behind quickly when it comes to gaming on Boot Camp/Windows so I want to get an iMac for everything but gaming, then have a PC for gaming connected to that beautiful monitor, is this possible?

I would want to switch back and forth kind of like a KVM...if there is any possible way to do that.

If not, what is my best option for a Mac/PC single monitor KVM setup:

PC and entry level Mac Pro
PC and wait for the new Mac Mini
PC and MacBook Pro

I just need the Mac to run everything well, I'll do photos, videos, Photoshop, browsing, etc. but all for fun. However I do tend to multitask and I don't want any slow down on that beautiful interface it has!

Thanks for the help!

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
If you get the mac pro and just bling it out as far as you can afford then there is no need to buy a second PC unless you really REALLY have that much money.

the only way I can think of to use the iMAc as a screen is to use gigabit networking and remote desktop. (the built in network card may work though there is a good chance you will have to use fiber channel to get proper speed)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
If you get the mac pro and just bling it out as far as you can afford then there is no need to buy a second PC unless you really REALLY have that much money.

the only way I can think of to use the iMAc as a screen is to use gigabit networking and remote desktop. (the built in network card may work though there is a good chance you will have to use fiber channel to get proper speed)

That sounds a little weird...I doubt I would want to do it like that.

And I think buying a Mac, PC, and monitor seperately would benefit me more than a Mac Pro...those things are DAMN expensive.

P.S. I love your avatar, what is that from?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The DVI plug on the iMac is output only.
You'd have to go with a 3rd party hardware option like an Elgato EyeTV or something.
Or try using the PC headless and playing games via VNC which would be fugly, I think.

My favorite option would be to buy a large monitor that supports multiple DVI connections, and then use it as a 2nd monitor for your Mac and a primary monitor for your PC.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
At this time, the only way to play external video on iMac is to run the video through a video capture device, something with LIVE TV, and probably HD capabilities. (Unless you get the 20th Anniversary Mac that was made a long time ago).

Perhaps something from ElGato or Pinnacle would work? It would need a VGA or DVI in for connecting to computer.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
A direct (DVI compatible) input to the iMac screen is not possible, since the LCD panel gets the signal directly from the iMac's graphics chip.

If you try remote desktop or another VNC software, your PC will not use its hardware acceleration, so your $500 nVidia PC card will be useless. That of course means that your games wouldn't even start, because the DirectX support is missing.

You *could* get a USB TV adapter for the Mac with S-Video input. That way, you can see your see your PC output in a desktop window on the Mac, but only in standard TV resolution. Also, there would be a small delay due to the extra data processing.

So, if the graphics options for the Mac Pro don't cut it for you, maybe a PC plus mac mini is the best deal.

Just out of curiosity: I'm not a gamer, so I have absolutely no idea about the minimum requirements nowadays, although I suspect that there is a lot of exaggeration around when people compare their set ups. Are people really running into difficulties when gaming with a Mac Pro?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
It sounds like an iMac isn't an option for me unless I want to get a separate monitor for the PC... Thanks for the input.

Just out of curiosity: I'm not a gamer, so I have absolutely no idea about the minimum requirements nowadays, although I suspect that there is a lot of exaggeration around when people compare their set ups. Are people really running into difficulties when gaming with a Mac Pro?

A Mac Pro, and even an iMac should cut it right now for the majority of people. However, the video cards aren't very "future proof". Though nothing really is, they just don't have the staying power of some other cards. If you aren't a "hardcore" gamer, both the Mac Pro and top end iMac should be plenty. If you don't play the newest/hottest games, they should run nearly everything else maxed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.