Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakir

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
i have an imac 2.0 c2d. recently, i've been experiencing random blue screen popping up. it's not the "blue screen of death" during start up but it usually comes a few seconds after waking up from sleep. i doesn't cause my imac to freeze and it only lasts for less than a second. the thing is, i fear it might get worse. my whole screen will suddenly turn light blue(as if it is going to sleep except not the usual black) and then it goes away. i want to know what causes this.

recently i've updated to 10.5.3. also, i "manually" downloaded an update from apple regarding the graphic card issue which was dated November 07. i might have installed that update twice since i've been regularly updating my computer as soon as any updates are available. is it any problem if i were to install the same thing twice?

if it's any help, my card is ati radeon hd2400. oct 2007 cheapest imac model

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Its a buffer screen. Do you see the same color screen during the start up sequence?

If you do, its semi-normal. Happens on my MBP. Same idea as the Windows logo screen during Vista's startup sequence. (Somebody feel free to correct me if that isn't normal, but I remember reading a thread about it on here a while back)

PChuprina

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Blue screens showing up

I have the same problem! it just started the past few days. I run tech tool a couple of times, no problem and I am running a virus check as we speak. The blue screen appears for only a second and it appears randomly, very scarey.

Someone please help. My Macbook pro is only a bit over a year old.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If it only happens when waking from sleep, then it's not random. It only last very shortly and then desktop appears. I wouldn't call that a problem. It was probably there before, it's just that you didn't notice it. Probably part of the wake cycle, where the contents of the screen are not passed to video card yet.

Ramdom would be if you are working on something, and the screen comes up.

PChuprina, there are no viruses in OS X (been the case for almost ten years). You are wasting your time with virus scan (and sometimes it's the virus scan that causes problems).

shakir

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
actually, even after a couple of minutes of use after waking up, it still pops up. but disappears eventually.anyway, it never caused me any problems thus far so i guess it's fine. thanks for answering. i was getting pretty worried

PChuprina

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
God no, NO!!! (sorry)

But I did run the extended hardware check from the Apple disk and got a all is okay in the hardware. No quick blue screens today, yet.

SirSeraphim

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I get the same random blue screen

I will be in the middle of something and it happens. It is not a sleep issue. When it returns to normal screen it does this fade in effect.

I have noticed that it started recently around the time I went from a VGA cable to DVI/HDMI. I wonder if that is causing it. Is anyone using the DVI cable and getting/not getting the blue screen?

I am going to go back to the VGA cable and see if returns to rule that out or as the reason.

I am using a Mac Mini 2.0 GHz on a Samsung 32" LCD t.v.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.