Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnimalPaintball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Reason Im asking, is because I am thinking about getting the 3G and when I change sim cards, Im curious if it will switch over all my ringtones, contacts, pics, etc....

THnx
mondo

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

Change the sim from what phone? Why are you changing sim?

AnimalPaintball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I think Im calling the card by the wrong name. For some reason SIM came into my head. Im talking about the card that you take out when you use the paper clip to open at the top of the iPhone.

Thnx and sorry :)

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
sim cards don't hold that kind of information. they mainly hold your carrier information (account/phone number/etc). the iphone's only holds that which i think is lame. every other GSM phone you can store your contacts on it (makes switching phones easier) and some (like SE) allow you to store sms/mms/email messages on it as well.

so no, your ringtones and whatnot won't transfer. but they're on your computer/itunes library so why would you need them to? you just transfer them onto the new phone when you sync it.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I think Im calling the card by the wrong name. For some reason SIM came into my head. Im talking about the card that you take out when you use the paper clip to open at the top of the iPhone.

Thnx and sorry :)

You have the right name.

The SIM card's primary purpose is to supply customer account information to the wireless network.

If you take the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it in any other phone, your price plan, telephone number, etc all travel with the SIM card into the other phone.

None of your multimedia (ringtones, pics, etc) are usually stored on your SIM card.

It is also possible to store a contact list (names, phone numbers, etc) on a SIM card, but I don't know if the iPhone uses that capability.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
SIM = Subscriber Identity Module

It identifies you to your network the local cell tower communicates wiht your phone and registers your IMEI and SIm and that is how calls come through every time you move into a new area your IMEI is logged by the provider.

No data is stored on the SIM on the iphone except the SIM serial number which is tied to a phone number by your service provider

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Also the SIM card can't hold much information. On my old Razr I couldn't store voice prompts. Even if the iPhone could I wouldn't think that you could put pics or ringtones on it.

saDeRmac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
SIM = Subscriber Identity Module

It identifies you to your network the local cell tower communicates wiht your phone and registers your IMEI and SIm and that is how calls come through every time you move into a new area your IMEI is logged by the provider.

No data is stored on the SIM on the iphone except the SIM serial number which is tied to a phone number by your service provider

Right and the new iPhones will have a SIM built in again... Anyway... if you have previous version of the iPhone your numbers pics and other stuff is backed up in iTunes. They will be transfered when you plug your phone into iTunes the first time...

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
that's because razr's couldnt do a lot of things. you can actually store about 64kb worth of information on a sim card (at least ATT/Cingular's 64k cards). that would normally entail your contacts, but you can also store messages like i mentioned above. you can't store ringtones, games, etc on it though.

Also the SIM card can't hold much information. On my old Razr I couldn't store voice prompts. Even if the iPhone could I wouldn't think that you could put pics or ringtones on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.