Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Hi all,

I'm trying to rig up a system for work that will allow me to remotely monitor an industrial job site for a few hours each day and control some equipment. I've got the ability setup to remotely control the equipment, but I need a dedicated camera on an engine tach and pump presser gauge. My original plan for a remote camera is not working and time is running short, so I thought I could end up using the new MB I got recently with the integrated webcam, and VNC into the computer. I tried it out today and it seemed to work well except for two things, both related to the display being on.

1) There is no power available so maximizing battery life is a must

2) I was getting a bit of a glare off the gauges from the screen that made viewing a bit difficult.

I think both would be solved if I could run the MB with the screen off, but I don't know if this is possible.

Any thoughts?

therealmuffin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Turn diplay off by sliding pointer to bottom right cornor

I recently bought a macbook pro with osx 10.5 installed on it. There I found that when I bring my pointer to the bottom right corner and let it slide a bit through my display is turned off. In this instance, my dock is on the left and the menu bar is on top.

This has the advantage over turning brightness all the way down that it is much faster and you actually turn off your display instead of having it at unreadable brightness (your display is actually still on when dimming brightness)

I have no clue if it is enabled by default or if you have already found this out, but well.

dawg78s

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Shift-Control-Eject (the keyboard key at top right) will turn off your screen

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Shift-Control-Eject (the keyboard key at top right) will turn off your screen

See now thats thats the trick I've always used, but with the new MacBook Air(maybe the older ones were like this too.. I don't know) they replaced the Eject key with the Power Button.

Just tried a few things now like Shift-Control-Power or fn-Power doesn't do it.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
I recently bought a macbook pro with osx 10.5 installed on it. There I found that when I bring my pointer to the bottom right corner and let it slide a bit through my display is turned off. In this instance, my dock is on the left and the menu bar is on top.

This has the advantage over turning brightness all the way down that it is much faster and you actually turn off your display instead of having it at unreadable brightness (your display is actually still on when dimming brightness)

I have no clue if it is enabled by default or if you have already found this out, but well.

Something like this is what I do too. Can decide what it is by going to to System Preferences>Desktop & Screensaver>Screensaver>Hot Corners and then assign "Put Display to Sleep" to one of the corners. The move the mouse around a bit again, and it wakes back up. :)

danfrist

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
This worked for me. Make the display handling in Lion work like Snow Leopard

Run this command in your terminal.

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

To revert:

sudo nvram -d boot-args

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.