Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I have an FTP connection between home and work and want to open it up to the outside world so I can receive files at work from outside sources. I'm using Cyberduck (OS 10.4). It works fine, except I can see the ENTIRE drive of the machine I'm sending to. How can I make it so that incoming items only come in to a single, isolated folder, where that folder is the ONLY location can be seen by people on the outside?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have an FTP connection between home and work and want to open it up to the outside world so I can receive files at work from outside sources. I'm using Cyberduck (OS 10.4). It works fine, except I can see the ENTIRE drive of the machine I'm sending to.

What FTP clients can see is determined by file permissions on the server. To answer in more detail I'd need to know what server you are using. Quite a few FTP servers out there.

I hate to say it but if you need to ask this question here, you best option is to set up a computer that is used ONLY for incomming FTP connections. Even if your were a bit more expert this is the best way to go because the machine will need to be on the public side of a fire wall or at least port forwarded from a fire wall. There is quite a lot you need to know in order to keep a public accessable FTP server secure.

It shouldn't be expensive as almoast any computer is fast enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.