Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I don't understand why the iPhone can't use its large hard drive to store all calls, SMS, and emails that have been sent or made. I would love to have an extensive call history and see every SMS I sent and received. Personally, I don't put any music, videos, or photos in my iPhone. I'm sure there are many people who are the same and would like to utilize the hard drive.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I don't understand why the iPhone can't use its large hard drive to store all calls, SMS, and emails that have been sent or made. I would love to have an extensive call history and see every SMS I sent and received. Personally, I don't put any music, videos, or photos in my iPhone. I'm sure there are many people who are the same and would like to utilize the hard drive.

Well, I believe it can store about 100k SMS messages, so I wouldn't worry too much there.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA

Something might be wrong with your iPhone? I'm able to store all my calls, text messages, and emails (stored in All Mail within Gmail on my iPhone) and I can access that anytime I want. All text messages are saved individually, and remain on my iPhone unless I "delete" them by choice. Also, your call history is on your AT&T wireless bill at the end of each month, depending on your billing cycle. :confused:

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Something might be wrong with your iPhone? I'm able to store all my calls, text messages, and emails (stored in All Mail within Gmail on my iPhone) and I can access that anytime I want. All text messages are saved individually, and remain on my iPhone unless I "delete" them by choice. Also, your call history is on your AT&T wireless bill at the end of each month, depending on your billing cycle. :confused:

emails only stores the last 250.

SMS App is choking and lagging big time after some hundred messages.

Calls are limited I think to 100

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
Err, might have a bit of OCD to want to keep all of those data? :confused:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
thats because the database is massive
surely you dont need all those messages?

I was a bit upset about that when moving from my Treo to the iPhone, but I guess I got over that.

I think Apple is only using one db for the SMS messages (when they should really use one per converation). It takes the phone a few seconds to parse the db. The call list is only for the past 30 days (or so) as is the voicemail. This was mainly done because on a fringe few folks actually like looking at the first call they made from their phone (or first voicemail or first sms). Other folks just don't care.

Can Apple fix it? Yes they can, will they? Who knows...

As the others said, if you must look at the call info, just consult your past bills, they are all available in OLAM.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
From the programmer side of things, you must place limits on your data structures.

(Basically you must define the size of things that hold the data.)

Reactions: old-wiz

too opinionated ??

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
I was a bit upset about that when moving from my Treo to the iPhone, but I guess I got over that.

I think Apple is only using one db for the SMS messages (when they should really use one per converation). It takes the phone a few seconds to parse the db. The call list is only for the past 30 days (or so) as is the voicemail. This was mainly done because on a fringe few folks actually like looking at the first call they made from their phone (or first voicemail or first sms). Other folks just don't care.

Can Apple fix it? Yes they can, will they? Who knows...

As the others said, if you must look at the call info, just consult your past bills, they are all available in OLAM.

too opinionated ??

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
i beg to differ my i phone has calls right up to last year and that isn't because i only have a few and also every text conversation i've received is there also and i believe it will be until i delete them . this suits me not because i.m a sad sack or like to relate to the past but ive had uncontrolled epilepsy for the past 5 yrs and my memory is now shocking so dont b quick to judge people for looking back on their recent history coz for me its a god send.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I don't have any issues storing my messages? And I have like 5gb worth. No problems.

As for email, yea they are all there too. And calls, I regularly delete because I don't want to accidentally call people I don't know.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
i beg to differ my i phone has calls right up to last year and that isn't because i only have a few and also every text conversation i've received is there also and i believe it will be until i delete them . this suits me not because i.m a sad sack or like to relate to the past but ive had uncontrolled epilepsy for the past 5 yrs and my memory is now shocking so dont b quick to judge people for looking back on their recent history coz for me its a god send.

You do realize you were replying to a thread that was last active in 2008?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You think you're smart? What about incoming and missed calls?
Pretty sure all those get listed on the phone bill. (And it's doubtful the poster who posted that 7 years ago, and who hasn't been to the forums in about 2 years now, will really see those questions.)

Reactions: SisterBlue22

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The iPhone stores thousands more SMS than I would ever wish to clog it up with. All my SMS get deleted once responded to.

hileman64

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017
When you have a construction business and you get calls constantly then that a very good reason to keep all that data for special purposes!! Kinda rude to say someone has OCD because they want to keep all that data. Maybe you don't have a good job like this where we need those numbers so zip it up unless you know what your talking about!
[doublepost=1491248835][/doublepost]
There is a setting as to how long to keep messages
Can you tell me where this setting is. I've called apple and they told me there wasn't anything they could do.
[doublepost=1491249034][/doublepost]
When you have a construction business and you get calls constantly then that a very good reason to keep all that data for special purposes!! Kinda rude to say someone has OCD because they want to keep all that data. Maybe you don't have a good job like this where we need those numbers so zip it up unless you know what your talking about!
Can you tell me where this setting is. I've called apple and they told me there wasn't anything they could do.
I just read where these are old problems. Do you know if there is a setting like you were talking about for an iphone6s??

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
[doublepost=1491249034][/doublepost]
I just read where these are old problems. Do you know if there is a setting like you were talking about for an iphone6s??
Under Settings > Messages> the default is to keep messages forever. In regards to keeping all incoming numbers logged past the default "recents" number, the iPhone does not have the ability to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.