Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I have a few hundred slide scans in tiff format. I would like to resize them to jpg for dvd work and for review (tiffs are currently 73 MBs each).

I have CS3, but can't get Adobe photoshop to convert them?

The scans were done in a nikon LS-5000 scanner using their software. Of course, I chose the 'save as jpeg' format, but of course that didn't work. They are still all tiffs.

I might be able to open individually in the nikon scan software, but a batch would be a much better idea.

Any help would be appreciated. I might try graphic converter on my G5 if it comes back from the shop today (and if it works properly).
I'm currently on a mac pro with latest version of Tiger.

Cheers,
Keebler

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That sounds bizarre. Saving as a jpg should save as a jpg, nothing else. Does the file still retain the .tif file extension even after the save as? :confused:

Normally, I'd batch an entire folder's worth of images to a new directory after creating an action first that contained the save as jpg settings I wanted to use on all the images. Under File>Automate>Batch...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I chose the 'save as jpeg' format, but of course that didn't work. They are still all tiffs.

Just out of interest, have you tried just opening the one file and saving that as a JPEG manually? Or did you just automatically action it?

If it's the former, than you need to reset Photoshop.

If it's the latter, then there's something amiss with your action.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
That sounds bizarre. Saving as a jpg should save as a jpg, nothing else. Does the file still retain the .tif file extension even after the save as? :confused:

Normally, I'd batch an entire folder's worth of images to a new directory after creating an action first that contained the save as jpg settings I wanted to use on all the images. Under File>Automate>Batch...

hi BV,

It must be something to do with the nikon scan 4 software b/c when I open 1 in Photoshop - there is no option for jpeg in save as. weird eh?

I'm a huge action guy...use them all the time. I was going to do exactly that...set up the action, run the batch..whammo....time saved...mission accomplished. But nooooooooo....

Technology has not been my friend this week so i'm not surprised I have yet another hurdle. :)

I'll keep you folks posted. I'm running some slides again then I will tackle it.

Cheers,
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
You haven't scanned them in 16 bit colour by any chance?

oh boy.

yes. i just scanned 1 in at 8 bit and was able to save as jpeg. and surprisingly (sarcasm) the file size is very small compared to the tiff which obviously is holding more data.

So, i'm man enough to admit I screwed up and I need to learn more (never ends does it?) - is there hope for me to rectify the situation? I can't rescan the images - no time as they are due Wednesday. I was thinking of using an action, if 1 is available, to reduce it from 16 bit to 8 bit, but i'm thinking that isn't possible b/c the bits have to do with the depth of information scanned?

So much for listening to a colleague about scan settings with this scanner...doh!

Cheers,
Keebler

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I was thinking of using an action, if 1 is available, to reduce it from 16 bit to 8 bit

No probs with doing that. But it's probably easier to set one action to do it all: open the image, convert it to 8-bit, save the file as a JPG... and then batch the whole lot into a new folder. :)

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
Drag the tiffs to photoshop / aperture / whatever u use, then go save as, then set to jpeg. It is better that they are already in tiff format bc its cleaner then a jpeg will every be.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
No probs with doing that. But it's probably easier to set one action to do it all: open the image, convert it to 8-bit, save the file as a JPG... and then batch the whole lot into a new folder. :)

whew! I have it running as I type.

BV, thanks so much. Now, I could walk away with my mission accomplished, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't learn something (aside from making a mistake and having it corrected) - is there a benefit to scanning at 16 bit depth? I usually scan in slides or negatives for consumers if that helps.

Cheers and thanks again,
Keebler

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Any help would be appreciated. I might try graphic converter on my G5 if it comes back from the shop today (and if it works properly).
MyFile.tif and MyFile.jpg are two different files. When you converted the .tiff file, you probably saved the .jpeg version in a different location.

As for GraphicConverter, it does the job and does it well. For this simple conversion job, just download the app to your Mac Pro. GC is fully functional before you pay the shareware fee. There is no need to wait for your G5 to come home.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
No need to make your own PS CS action if all you're doing is converting from tiff to jpeg. File-->Scripts-->Image Processor takes care of that. With resize and sRGB colour space options to boot.
It'll even make a destination folder in the source folder for you.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland

Yes. I do it this way all the time.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple's "preview" will do the conversion but one file at a time. iPhoto will do a batch conversion and so will Aperture. Import the tiff files into the library then file->export and choose some options for size and quality and files type (jpg) You don't need any software that is not already on you Mac.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
People always forget Automator for these kinds of things. Boy there is much possible with it!
Just add open file, save to jpeg, choose quality, then save as application or smart folder and throw your stuff on/in it.
You can even have it make PDF brochures to browser all your images.

A

autacraft

Hijacking post, but for any creative cloud users bridge is pretty good for batch processing.

Open Bridge, then hit Tools > Photoshop > image processor

Bingo!

Bridge also now very handy for making contact sheets, just go to 'output' on top right toolbar.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Hijacking post, but for any creative cloud users bridge is pretty good for batch processing.
There are plenty of cheap alternatives for batch processing images without resorting to the Devil's shilling that is Adobe Creative Cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.