Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I am having problems playing movies in Safari. I have tried several sites and all have the same problem. Instead of the movie I get a jumbled mess of characters. I was able to view these sites last night. Any help would be appreciated.

touchyphone

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Do ya' have any more info? It a pretty basic description....

What site were you on?
What characters did it display???
etc....

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
m.break.com and tinytube.net

The characters are just hundreds of characters of random junk.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
None of my streaming media seems to be working. I just went to espn podcenter and the pictures with the play button are not even showing up. I even did a restore and it still isn't working.

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
the iPhone doesn't support playing videos on Safari unless its a youtube video. These videos are flash, and safari doesn't (yet) support flash so you are out of luck unless those videos are on youtube.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
They aren't flash. I know what videos can and can't be played. I have used these sites many times before and they have always worked. The flash sites have the blue box indicating flash is needed. The espn podcenter is mp3 files. I understand your response because everyone is trying to play flash videos but I know what site have and don't have flash. If you don't believe me go to espn podcenter, tinytube.net or m.break.com

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
They aren't flash. I know what videos can and can't be played. I have used these sites many times before and they have always worked. The flash sites have the blue box indicating flash is needed. The espn podcenter is mp3 files. I understand your response because everyone is trying to play flash videos but I know what site have and don't have flash. If you don't believe me go to espn podcenter, tinytube.net or m.break.com
I know podcenter should work. I just tried it.
Are you using EDGE or wifi? Sometimes I get problems like this when on EDGE.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
WIFI and edge. The problems were first noticed on WIFI so I tried edge as well. Neither worked.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah youtube app works fine. Also movies played that are stored on the phone play fine.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Are you turning wifi off when you try it over edge? I'm only asking because it could be using wifi each time you try without you realising (not calling you stupid just trying to help) and it could ultimately be a problem with your internet, which maybe a router/modem reboot might help. Just a suggestion as I can't think what else to tell you other than what the rest have said here.
Sorry if it doesn't work for you.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Yes I did turn off wifi. I thought the same thing. Thanks for the idea though. I appreciate all the ideas I can get. I am at a loss for what the issue could be.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Problem Fixed

I was able to find the issue. Somehow my plugins in safari got turned off. Thanks for all the help

Zyzsgy

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I was able to find the issue. Somehow my plugins in safari got turned off. Thanks for all the help

How did you do this? I think it has to do with download manager, but I'm not sure. This problem keeps happening to me, please help!

jman10135

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Fixed my problem too

Yeah for some reason my plugins were turned off too... all you have to do is go to Settings -> Safari and then look for plugins and turn them on :)

Sketchy111

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Sarfari not working

My sarfari videos hasn't been working in a month. I've got the same problem as everyone else. I use the ap searchit or dragon, free downloads At iTunes, and they can watch the videos that I go to same as sarfari. Hope that helps out anyone. But I like sarfari ap just a little bit better with it's convenice. I updated sarfari but still doesn't work with videos. So try out searchit or dragon at iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.