Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Johnpartridge
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
New UK Launch Details

Hello all, Just thought id report back on what I was told today.

I visited an o2 Store in the midlands, to enquire about the UK launch, and if there would be accessories available to purchase on launch.

I ended up speaking to a very plesant and helpfull young man, who spent around 15minutes calmly discussing the iPhone and O2 partnership.

Here are the facts that he told me,

1, There was an O2 conference yesterday to discuss O2's operations plan for the iPhone 3G launch in the Uk, they really want It to be a very successful and painless launch.

2, The main point he told me was this, From July 1st All O2 stores in the UK will offer pre registration Credit checks, You can come in store, have your contract setup for you, and a unique registration code given to you. The contract will simply be "paused" and wont be activated. No details are taken about which model phone you are going to be purchasing.

You can then turn up on July 11th and quote the registration code and then make a standard purchase of the phone and then the contract will become activated.

*addition* He also made it clear that, NO iPhones will be leaving any O2 store without a Credit check and Contract being signed for, this point was raised strongly by Apple this year to O2, they want to really crack down on Unlocking in the UK, and to stop the UK being a hub for distribution of Unlocked iPhone 3G's.

3, The opening times are still not fixed, but the time proposed at the conference was 7am July 11th 2008.

4, Each O2 store will receive ready for launch day, 5000 iPhone units. (same amount as the original iPhone launch)

5, Apple Retail stores will only be selling the Pay as You Go Tariffs in Store.

6, And Finally Not quite sure what he meant by this but, O2 have spent alot of time and money, sending messages and marketing to other network providers such as Orange, Tmobile and 3, with regards to the iPhone launch on 11th July.

Thank you for Reading.

Last edited by Johnpartridge; Jun 20, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:59 PM   #2
FarSeide
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Earth Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpartridge View Post
Hello all, Just thought id report back on what I was told today.

I visited an o2 Store in the midlands, to enquire about the UK launch, and if there would be accessories available to purchase on launch.

I ended up speaking to a very plesant and helpfull young man, who spent around 15minutes calmly discussing the iPhone and O2 partnership.

Here are the facts that he told me,

1, There was an O2 conference yesterday to discuss O2's operations plan for the iPhone 3G launch in the Uk, they really want It to be a very successful and painless launch.

2, The main point he told me was this, From July 1st All O2 stores in the UK will offer pre registration Credit checks, You can come in store, have your contract setup for you, and a unique registration code given to you. The contract will simply be "paused" and wont be activated. No details are taken about which model phone you are going to be purchasing.

You can then turn up on July 11th and quote the registration code and then make a standard purchase of the phone and then the contract will become activated.

3, The opening times are still not fixed, but the time proposed at the conference was 7am July 11th 2008.

4, Each O2 store will receive ready for launch day, 5000 iPhone units. (same amount as the original iPhone launch)

5, Apple Retail stores will only be selling the Pay as You Go Tariffs in Store.

6, And Finally Not quite sure what he meant by this but, O2 have spent alot of time and money, sending messages and marketing to other network providers such as Orange, Tmobile and 3, with regards to the iPhone launch on 11th July.

Thank you for Reading.
I could actually see this happening here in the US as well. Pre-registration will definitely resolve some of the paperwork issues you will see on iDay.
__________________
this... that...
FarSeide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpartridge View Post
6, And Finally Not quite sure what he meant by this but, O2 have spent alot of time and money, sending messages and marketing to other network providers such as Orange, Tmobile and 3, with regards to the iPhone launch on 11th July.
I'm sure he meant to subscribers of those networks, trying to get them to switch for the iPhone.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Reiger
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netherlands
It would be nice, if other carriers al over the world would follow this routine. However, for instance T-Mobile in the Netherlands will only release the details of the three iPhone plans (which will have some sort of combination of voice, sms and data) on the 3rd of July. So I guess no pre-registration in the Netherlands
Reiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:07 PM   #5
mattpreston11
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
thank you very much for your post, very informative

interesting about the pre sdigning up thing, that sounds good, then i can go in and out on july 11th.

7am though, thats a touch early but better than waiting till 6 i suppose.
cheers again


now all we are waiting for ia the pay and go price i suppose.
mattpreston11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:11 PM   #6
bigcol1983
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: scotland
did he say anything about existing non-iphone 02 customers?
bigcol1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Johnpartridge
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpreston11 View Post
thank you very much for your post, very informative

interesting about the pre sdigning up thing, that sounds good, then i can go in and out on july 11th.

7am though, thats a touch early but better than waiting till 6 i suppose.
cheers again


now all we are waiting for ia the pay and go price i suppose.
Thank you, gave me alot to think about on my way home from work, Do remember that the release time hasn't been decided yet. They are trying to find a time where all O2 stores can open simultaneously, and some shopping centres wont allow 7am openings for example, so there having difficulty, but the store I spoke to, was convinced it would be a 7am launch.

Cheers
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Johnpartridge
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcol1983 View Post
did he say anything about existing non-iphone 02 customers?
He didn't sadly no, Im not a current O2 user so it wasn't on my mind to ask him, though i'm sure O2 will come up with a plan to streamline the transition quickly and speed up the transaction time on July 11th. (there expecting big queues)

Cheers
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:16 PM   #9
bigcol1983
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: scotland
great info cheers, just wish i could fast forward 19days lol
bigcol1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:17 PM   #10
mattpreston11
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcol1983 View Post
great info cheers, just wish i could fast forward 19days lol

21..
mattpreston11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:19 PM   #11
bigcol1983
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: scotland
ah yeh, its late lol
bigcol1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:26 PM   #12
sneeks
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
I have serious doubts that each store will receive 5000 iPhone units each but the pre registration sounds likely. O2 hinted as much when they said they would contact us at the beginning of July.
sneeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:36 PM   #13
MacScho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
awesome post, really hope point 2 is true.
MacScho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Johnpartridge
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeks View Post
I have serious doubts that each store will receive 5000 iPhone units each but the pre registration sounds likely. O2 hinted as much when they said they would contact us at the beginning of July.
I did question the 5000 iPhones to him when he said to me, "what your going to sell all those on launch day!?" He laughed and replied saying that they got one shipment of 5000 on launch day last time, and that lasted them till about a month ago. (all remaining stock was cleared during the price drop a few months ago)

Cheers
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:41 PM   #15
redgaz26
macrumors 68020
 
redgaz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
I take it doesn't have to be the same o2 shop to register and then buy?
I'm down south on the 11th but would register in Glasgow???????


and does this include iphone 1 owners like myself and many others on here????
__________________
macbook pro 13" i5 4 G RAM
16g iphone 5s, , Apple TV
redgaz26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Johnpartridge
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgaz26 View Post
I take it doesn't have to be the same o2 shop to register and then buy?
I'm down south on the 11th but would register in Glasgow???????
Im guessing that your pre registration details will be stored on O2s main computer system so in theory you would be able to purchase and begin contract at any other store. But I didn't ask him about that, and that's just an educated guess by myself.
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:04 PM   #17
tiguk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Awesome news!

Did you get an answer about any available accessories?
tiguk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:07 PM   #18
Hustle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
5000 iPhones is not true. o2 stores will not store that many iPhones. It would be a keen place to rob, having £200k worth of iPhones. Also, there's o2 stores EVERYWHERE in the UK, so I doubt they'll be shipping out 1 million+ iPhones on the first day of launch in the UK a lone. Apple's goal is 10 million iPhones. I doubt 1 million is going to be aimed at launch day.
Hustle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 01:55 AM   #19
sk8mash
macrumors 6502a
 
sk8mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
5000 iPhones is not true. o2 stores will not store that many iPhones. It would be a keen place to rob, having £200k worth of iPhones. Also, there's o2 stores EVERYWHERE in the UK, so I doubt they'll be shipping out 1 million+ iPhones on the first day of launch in the UK a lone. Apple's goal is 10 million iPhones. I doubt 1 million is going to be aimed at launch day.
Didn't read this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpartridge View Post
I did question the 5000 iPhones to him when he said to me, "what your going to sell all those on launch day!?" He laughed and replied saying that they got one shipment of 5000 on launch day last time, and that lasted them till about a month ago. (all remaining stock was cleared during the price drop a few months ago)

Cheers
__________________
27" iMac 3.2GHz - 11" MacBook Air 1.4Ghz - iPad Air 32GB - iPhone 5S 32GB
sk8mash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 02:05 AM   #20
Cherimoya
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NJ
Well that's not true either - all the gen 1 iphones are week stamped in the serial number. If you buy one they are rarely more than two-three weeks old. They certainly haven't been sitting around in an O2 store since launch day.

Don't you remember the issues about different firmware versions in OTB phones?
Cherimoya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 02:23 AM   #21
MacsAttack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpartridge View Post
*addition* He also made it clear that, NO iPhones will be leaving any O2 store without a Credit check and Contract being signed for, this point was raised strongly by Apple this year to O2, they want to really crack down on Unlocking in the UK, and to stop the UK being a hub for distribution of Unlocked iPhone 3G's.
That isn't going to stop it. The PayG iPhones will be the ones flying to other countries.
__________________
Security: “You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or Allow?”
PC: “…… Allow.”
MacsAttack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 02:27 AM   #22
Johnpartridge
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguk View Post
Awesome news!

Did you get an answer about any available accessories?
Cant belive I didnt include this into my original post, it was what I originally wanted to know about!, he said that they will have a wide variety of accessories available on lauch day in all O2 stores. Not sure what a "wide variety" means but im guessing the usual mixture of cases and cable based accessories.

Cheers
Johnpartridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 03:26 AM   #23
tjcampbell
macrumors 6502a
 
tjcampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
I wonder if the CarPhoneWarehouse will pull their "you have to buy insurance or we won't sell you an iPhone" scam all over again?

I'm going to pick up my 3G at the apple store this time.
__________________
My latest comedy videos
http://www.funnyordie.com/tommycampbell
IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035174/
tjcampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 03:48 AM   #24
andyhargreaves
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I'm guessing the credit checks will be more stringent this time, as the iPhone is being subsidized by the networks. I also wonder how, if at all, different this procedure will be for current O2 iPhone customers??

Great OP, by the way, Johnpartridge.

Andy
andyhargreaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:13 AM   #25
badgerman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpartridge View Post

3, The opening times are still not fixed, but the time proposed at the conference was 7am July 11th 2008..
This also fits in with what they told me last week (at the Trafford Centre which normally opens at 10am) and what else I have read. Should mean, no need for camping.

good post. Anyone else heard this?Will pop into O2 today.
badgerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long did it take Mophie to launch the case after launch? pilot1226 iPhone Accessories 9 Sep 13, 2013 08:07 PM
New iRadio Ad Details Surface Ahead of Expected Launch Next Week MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 88 Jun 8, 2013 09:31 AM
iPad Mini Launch Attracting Shorter Lines on Launch Day MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 244 Nov 4, 2012 12:15 AM
An odd connection between color and 4 launch/5 launch thadoggfather iPhone 0 Sep 26, 2012 11:43 PM
More Rumors of Late September iPhone Launch with Details on iPad Mini, 4th-Gen iPad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 74 Jul 31, 2012 05:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC