Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I would like to mirror what happens on my MacBook to my Apple TV. That way it would be much easier for me to make presentations for example.

Maybe you say that it's not possible to stream so much information, but it is - it can be done via Remote Desktop today. The quality of that is totally OK if you ask me.

Is there a way to solve this?

If there is, what do I need to do? I haven't modded my ATV and I don't know the easiest way to do that.

If I close my eyes, I can see a new menu option before me: "Connect to computer"... It would be great!

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Why not just connect the MacBook directly to the TV, and bypass the AppleTV device?

Because I don't want to. I would like to have the MacBook on the other side of the room, no cables attached. Everything else is wireless, why shouldn't picture be as well?

aljoseph

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Carllson: It probably wouldn't be too hard to do. Why don't you do it and let the rest of us know how it turned out. tv was engineered, designed and offered to perform specific tasks. Why are you unhappy it doesn't do what it was never designed to do in the first place.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Carlsson: It probably wouldn't be too hard to do. Why don't you do it and let the rest of us know how it turned out.

Unfortunately I am that type of guy that neither have skills, or time, to do this. That's why I'm asking.
I thought that maybe someone, who wants to earn some money, and DO have the time and skills, can make such an application for ATV. It's called Shareware. Some other folks on the planet do things like that (shareware, that is).

tv was engineered, designed and offered to perform specific tasks. Why are you unhappy it doesn't do what it was never designed to do in the first place.

Well, maybe because I think it should be able to do that... Why do you think there are so many hacked ATV's? Is it because Apple made the perfect Media solution and you just install codecs and plugins for fun?

Just because you buy a product doesn't mean you are 100% satisfied, right? ;)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, maybe because I think it should be able to do that...

I have an iPhone. I think that it SHOULD be able to be on Verizon. It's not. They had their chance, and they're idiots.

I have an LC 575. I think that it SHOULD be able to be upgraded to run OS X. Actually, the only thing stopping it is the 160MB hard drive.

I want a Nehalem Mac Pro. I think that it SHOULD be able to use more than nine graphics cards. (if you're confused, the three from the first Mac Pro, the three from the Penryn Mac Pro, and the three that will come out specifically for the Nehalem Mac Pro)

BlkHwkJailBrkr

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I have an iPhone. I think that it SHOULD be able to be on Verizon. It's not. They had their chance, and they're idiots.

I have an LC 575. I think that it SHOULD be able to be upgraded to run OS X. Actually, the only thing stopping it is the 160MB hard drive.

I want a Nehalem Mac Pro. I think that it SHOULD be able to use more than nine graphics cards. (if you're confused, the three from the first Mac Pro, the three from the Penryn Mac Pro, and the three that will come out specifically for the Nehalem Mac Pro)

I'm a little late on this thread, found it on google to see how I could mirror my Mac on to ATV2....WIRELESSLY. But, I must say that because people want their devices to do more than they "should" is the reason why we jailbreak our devices and enhance the ***** out of it. and if you're that guy that frowns on jailbreaking....whatever, every new "enhancement" you see on an iOS upgrade comes from the jailbreak community that apple steals from, re-engineers and makes it look better.

bjttd

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
MAC to TV

I'm with Carrison

I have been reading your thoughts but I want something like
Windows 7 Intel Wireless display and a Netgear device.

I know I know how dare I mention windows but have they done something
a lot of Apple users want.?

Tagefo

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2011
Not the best solution I guess, but absolutely doable like this;

Needed; iPhone 4S, Apple TV, Mac (of some kind)

Use Splashtop on the iPhone to connect to the mac you want on your TV, and mirror that image from the iPhone to the Apple TV 2

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Not the best solution I guess, but absolutely doable like this;

Needed; iPhone 4S, Apple TV, Mac (of some kind)

Use Splashtop on the iPhone to connect to the mac you want on your TV, and mirror that image from the iPhone to the Apple TV 2

Yes. This also works with an iPad 2 instead of the iPhone 4S. Only problem is the mirrored screen coming from the ipad2 or iphone4s will have the same aspect ratio as the iDevice, whereas most TVs have a different aspect ratio. So you'll see black bars on the sides of the TV screen.

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
I wish there is a way to do that wirelessly. I read in one magazine that there is something called McTivia that is quite expensive, but can wirelessly connect your mac or desktop to your tv without the apple tv.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I haven't tried this so I can't comment on the quality for video for example. However using screens fro edovia, logmein, or any VNC app on the iPad to connect to you mac, then airplay mirror the iPad display to the Apple TV.

Depending on what you want to do this should work.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
It would be nice to have a VNC client for Apple TV 2 (hell, there are a ton for iOS already, just need someone to take on the task of porting it to Apple TV 2) so that products like Screen Recycler can be used.

Hell, I would *pay* for a VNC client for the Apple TV 2.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
AirPlay Mirroring will be a standard feature of Mountain Lion (10.8)

Haven't tried AirParrot will give it a shot later on, may be a good choice for those stuck on older releases.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
If you can run Mountain Lion when it releases, and the feature is available on your hardware (some features are left out of OS releases for Macs with certain hardware even if you can install the OS), you should be able to stream your Desktop to an AppleTV 2.

Captainjman

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Wow

I think its amazing how the apple fanboys react when you show them that apple isnt perfect. Its actually pathetic.

This guy is right, it SHOULD be able to do all these things - on the PC side, pretty much everything discussed in this thread (and others like it) are already being done.

I switched to apple recently, just to try it out and I really like it, but its FAR FAR FAR from perfect. In fact, apple is so restrictive in hopes of making even more money off their customers that it takes YEARS for the technology to become available.

I wish apple would get their head out of their aXXes, let us do what we want with these computers. If you have a wireless connection to an apple TV, don't tease us, let it work in every way possible.

If apple would do that, more people would switch over to the Mac side, which would increase sales and would help Mac grow even more. So its in everyones best interest to see all kinds of functionality in these devices.

And for the fanboys defending Apple to the death - you are pathetic, very very pathetic.

Jason

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I think its amazing how the apple fanboys react when you show them that apple isnt perfect. Its actually pathetic.

This guy is right, it SHOULD be able to do all these things - on the PC side, pretty much everything discussed in this thread (and others like it) are already being done.

I switched to apple recently, just to try it out and I really like it, but its FAR FAR FAR from perfect. In fact, apple is so restrictive in hopes of making even more money off their customers that it takes YEARS for the technology to become available.

I wish apple would get their head out of their aXXes, let us do what we want with these computers. If you have a wireless connection to an apple TV, don't tease us, let it work in every way possible.

If apple would do that, more people would switch over to the Mac side, which would increase sales and would help Mac grow even more. So its in everyones best interest to see all kinds of functionality in these devices.

And for the fanboys defending Apple to the death - you are pathetic, very very pathetic.

Jason
Ooooo. Someone didn't take his happy pill this morning.:eek:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Been using AirParrot and it is a fantastic app - highly recommended. Just the right amount of options.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012

Jason

If OSX allowed you to do that, it would turn into Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.