Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
It would be great if you could mute internet audio so you can surf in peace while still having your iTunes on.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is something I was surprised to find isn't available in Safari. It's a standard option in IE and Firefox. The closest I could find was a program called Detour, but it isn't available for Intel-based Macs. Does anyone know of an Intel-based program that would accomplish this? It's really annoying to be listening to iTunes while surfing and have some idiotic website blaring some obnoxious sound or music on top of your music. Ad-blocking is not an option, since the offending sounds aren't typically from ads, but from the sites themselves.

yaneevt

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
I must agree with former posts

Sometimes it's impossible to listen quietly to music while surfing the web.

Muting, or separately controlling safari volume is a well needed feature.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
This is something I was surprised to find isn't available in Safari. It's a standard option in IE and Firefox. The closest I could find was a program called Detour, but it isn't available for Intel-based Macs. Does anyone know of an Intel-based program that would accomplish this? It's really annoying to be listening to iTunes while surfing and have some idiotic website blaring some obnoxious sound or music on top of your music. Ad-blocking is not an option, since the offending sounds aren't typically from ads, but from the sites themselves.

How do you do it in Firefox?

theocela

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I found an easy way to mute a program (e.g. Safari) by using WireTab Studio. Its made to record from sound sources while it excludes others. By applying effects you can alter (e.g. mute) the sound from the programs you like. With the Camel_Audio>Camel_Crusher effect you will find what you are looking for.

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
It would be great if Mac OS X stored separate volume settings for each app. It would complicate things a little, but it would help out a lot in situations like this.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I would also love this. I used detour on my imac G5, but I've not since found a replacement solution for my intel mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.