Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delonestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I have an eMac running OSX (v.10.4.11) with a 1.25 Ghz processor and want to add a webcam so I can skype with family members. Can't find any recommendations on Apple's site and the threads here seem to indicate issues with webcams and OSX. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good webcam that will work with my machine?

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I'd suggest one of two 1) the XBOX Live camera works with 10.4.11 out of the box and 2) the Macally IceCam2 is great and it will match the eMac pretty well and includes a mic.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I have an eMac running OSX (v.10.4.11) with a 1.25 Ghz processor and want to add a webcam so I can skype with family members. Can't find any recommendations on Apple's site and the threads here seem to indicate issues with webcams and OSX. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good webcam that will work with my machine?

I have read a lot of good things about the Microsoft Xbox 360 vision camera. The only down side is it does not have a built in mic.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live-Vision-Camera/dp/B000GCGB3M

Here is a thread discussing web cams for use with OSX
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/302613/

This one is asked the same question you did.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/486541/

Do a search of the forums for webcams to get more info.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Won't a firewire iSight webcam work?

Yeah, because you can pick one of those up in any forum or on eBay for $40? ;)

The eMac has a mic on the front bezel, right? So you should be set if you put the XBox cam with it. It's so cheap, you can even take it apart and paint it or something to make it match the eMac and not worry about it too much....

delonestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Thank you!

WOW -- this is my first time to use a forum, despite being a Mac user for more than 20 years. THANK YOU to all of you who responded. I will check out the ones you suggested.

WaxLily

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
had exact same question

thanks to everyone who posted replies, very helpful!

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
For future reference, any webcam with the windows vista logo on it will work without drivers under os x.

To be certified by windows vista, the camera must be driverless and run by usb's universal video class, or UVC.

UVC is what drives Apple's current iSights, so it natively supports other usb webcams. The windows vista logo is just an easy way to spot one. Be wary of ebay knock offs though. They'll flat out lie just to get your money.

mackila

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Torrent (Spain)
You can buy in ebay an used iMac G5 isight camera module. It has a usb2 connection cable (4 wires) and you can plug it to your emac usb port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.