Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Just a heads up for those wondering. The latest update released today, 10.5.4, does not seem to fix Starcraft. :(

Ansemrp

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Yeah I was really hoping it would work when I saw the .5.4 update. No luck though.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yeah because keeping support for legacy games from 10 years ago is on the top of Apple's priorities when releasing system updates.

Except that the fix Apple needs to make is trivial (put back in 256 color support for Nvidia drivers, which they took out for some inexplicable reason).

veenarm

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Can update normally

If you are using the version dl from blizz store you will have to w8 for the standalone patch.

Hi - I had the same issue but you don't need to wait!
Once you've downloaded the patch using blizzards download in game and it fails navigate to

/ Applications / Warcraft III /

There is a file called BNUpdate
Rename this file to BNUpdate.app

Run this file it will auto update your warcraft and you'll now be 1.22

Cheers
John

robbiekins

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah because keeping support for legacy games from 10 years ago is on the top of Apple's priorities when releasing system updates.

8 years, and the only reason it doesn't work is because Apple removed perfectly fine, preexisting code for seemingly no reason at all.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Hi - I had the same issue but you don't need to wait!
Once you've downloaded the patch using blizzards download in game and it fails navigate to

/ Applications / Warcraft III /

There is a file called BNUpdate
Rename this file to BNUpdate.app

Run this file it will auto update your warcraft and you'll now be 1.22

Cheers
John
Thanks a bunch - I'm going to post your replay in another thread about this.

veenarm

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Why doesn't SC work? I was playing it this morning.

Depending on what chipset you have for your mac - you may not be able to load SC/D2 etc generally affects 10.5.3 & 10.5.4

Reason is apple removed support for 256 colors from intel & some nvidia cards.
If yours is working then no need to worry.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Depending on what chipset you have for your mac - you may not be able to load SC/D2 etc generally affects 10.5.3 & 10.5.4

Reason is apple removed support for 256 colors from intel & some nvidia cards.
If yours is working then no need to worry.

Oh, ok. So it's hardware specific. Well, I hope it gets fixed soon for people with issues.

pinnacleseeker

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the duplicate posting. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of submitting this issue directly to Apple. If we want to get the bug fixed ASAP, the information needs to be seen by the right people.

I suggest that we all use the "feedback" feature from the Apple website. This will result in a situation were our problem will become the most visible.

The URL for sending feedback is:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Sending feedback took me around 5 minutes.

Below is what I sent.

-----------------------
Subject: 10.5.3 & 10.5.4 Display Driver Bug - Lacks 256 Color Support

Brief Description: NVIDIA graphics drivers lack 256 color support.

Full Description:

The NVIDIA graphic drivers that shipped with the Macbook Pro (OS X 10.5.2) were lacking 256 color support, which causes several older applications to stop working. When the 10.5.3 update was released, this problem also began to affect other systems, including those with an Intel-based graphics chip. The problem continues to exist in the 10.5.4 update. Users with systems containing an ATI graphics chip are unaffected by this problem.

Please fix this graphic driver bug, as many users are complaining about the inability to run certain older applications.

OS X Version:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.4.0

Hardware Specifications:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3212
----------------------

Thanks to everyone who sends feedback,

PinnacleSeeker

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.

Hilarious, as seeing as these two games are still immensely popular and played constantly on the internet.

At least I can still play Starcraft on my Windows machine. Thats more than some of you can say for your Intel Macs. Why they eliminated something as simple as that is beyond me. Why even bother? To save an extra kilobyte or two? :confused:

Caylen

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Hi, thanks for posting this

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the duplicate posting. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of submitting this issue directly to Apple. If we want to get the bug fixed ASAP, the information needs to be seen by the right people.

I suggest that we all use the "feedback" feature from the Apple website. This will result in a situation were our problem will become the most visible.

The URL for sending feedback is:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Sending feedback took me around 5 minutes.

Below is what I sent.

-----------------------
Subject: 10.5.3 & 10.5.4 Display Driver Bug - Lacks 256 Color Support

Brief Description: NVIDIA graphics drivers lack 256 color support.

Full Description:

The NVIDIA graphic drivers that shipped with the Macbook Pro (OS X 10.5.2) were lacking 256 color support, which causes several older applications to stop working. When the 10.5.3 update was released, this problem also began to affect other systems, including those with an Intel-based graphics chip. The problem continues to exist in the 10.5.4 update. Users with systems containing an ATI graphics chip are unaffected by this problem.

Please fix this graphic driver bug, as many users are complaining about the inability to run certain older applications.

OS X Version:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.4.0

Hardware Specifications:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3212
----------------------

Thanks to everyone who sends feedback,

PinnacleSeeker

I've sent Apple the feedback using your link as well. I just used your same subject in the subject line and I used your same description as well, ofcourse with my own hardware and software specs though. I need my starcraft back! I think I'm having withdrawls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.