Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve1717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
What do you guys think is the best way to compose an animation made up of frames of PNG files in an iPhone app?

I have tried several approaches:

- creating UIImage objects using both imageNamed: and initWithContentsOfFile: methods and then placing them in a UIImageView in sequence using NSTimer

- putting the UIImage objects into an animated UIImageView

I would like to generate faster animations but the 100k PNG files as frames seem to bog things down. Am I missing a more efficient way of doing this?:confused:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
there is animated PNG semi-standard, APNG, firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 both support it now.

Spin_fox.png

if you are using firefox 3 or Opera 9.5, this image should be rotating.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
there is animated PNG semi-standard, APNG, firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 both support it now.

Spin_fox.png

if you are using firefox 3 or Opera 9.5, this image should be rotating.

that motion looks very fluid, never thought anyone used apng.

steve1717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
That is really cool but seemingly not compatible for iPhone apps. Any ideas for creating fluid animations using PNG's on the iPhone?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
that motion looks very fluid, never thought anyone used apng.

PNG group is filled with naysayers, MNG is crappy, APNG is rejected too, currently PNG group has no reasonable animation standard. Its all up to browser developers. Only KHTML supports MNG as of now, in comparison, APNG has largest support currently.

I guess one of the original goal of PNG is to present a "still image"....

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
What tools do you use to best create icons/png files?

I'm assuming it's Adobe Illustrator, but (I'm a newb at graphics) that application is not very intuitive.

Anybody have good recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.