Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I've just started using Mac after having spent what seems to be lifetime on Microsoft Windows.

Now, one annoyance on the Mac platform is that while trying to print a web page while using Firefox, there just isn't the same versatility with print preview on the same browser on a PC. I could just click print preview, experiment with the scale until it looks right, and then from the same window send the document to the printer.

For the Mac it is tedious. First, I go to page set up, guess a proper percent scale to enlarge or reduce, hit preview, which opens the Apple preview application, and then check to see if it's ok. Failing which the whole process needs to be repeated over and over again. I thought Macs were meant to make life simpler, or is there something I've missed, like a well-known workaround for this problem?

lyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Forget Firefox. I found the feature in Safari. Pretty neat looking thing. I didn't realize that the "expand" button next to the printer selection would open up the advanced print options including print preview with realtime scaling. Way to go, Safari!

scott54

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
old windows users wanted!

that firefox thing has been bugging me ever since I hot my mac! I will try safari to see how it works out. being able to preview, manage and print from the same dialog box is a must for me!!

Now, my question is how do I rename files with the same number of clicks as with windows in single click mode? if you have never used windows in single click mode you wont appreciate what I am talking about. I can't always do batch processing and often I need to rename up to 100 files. windows requires 100 clicks, mac requires 300 clicks ..this drives me nuts!! can anyone help??

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
that firefox thing has been bugging me ever since I hot my mac! I will try safari to see how it works out. being able to preview, manage and print from the same dialog box is a must for me!!

Now, my question is how do I rename files with the same number of clicks as with windows in single click mode? if you have never used windows in single click mode you wont appreciate what I am talking about. I can't always do batch processing and often I need to rename up to 100 files. windows requires 100 clicks, mac requires 300 clicks ..this drives me nuts!! can anyone help??

Select a file and hit your return (enter) key.

scott54

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
rename

selecting the file and then hitting return requires 4 actions per file. One click to select, once for hitting return, then two clicks to put the cursor were you want it in the filename. I am on leopard 10.5.4

scott54

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Forget Firefox. I found the feature in Safari. Pretty neat looking thing. I didn't realize that the "expand" button next to the printer selection would open up the advanced print options including print preview with realtime scaling. Way to go, Safari!

wow that expand button solves all my problems with printing. I can scale, preview and most importantly limit the pages printed without leaving that one dialog box!! Thanks!

lyew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008

I'm not sure if I understand you. Isn't the file renaming procedure on OS X the same as on Windows? I can just click the filename in my Finder window, change it, and either hit return or click anywhere outside and it's done. BTW I'm using my more ergonomically-friendly Microsoft Mouse rather than the metacarpal-unfriendly but aesthetically pleasing Mac mouse.

scott54

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
I'm not sure if I understand you. Isn't the file renaming procedure on OS X the same as on Windows? I can just click the filename in my Finder window, change it, and either hit return or click anywhere outside and it's done. BTW I'm using my more ergonomically-friendly Microsoft Mouse rather than the metacarpal-unfriendly but aesthetically pleasing Mac mouse.

This issue is most noticable when you only want to partially rename the file, in other words be able to place the cursor somewhere within the filename. actually now that you mention it, i am not sure the problem is with the OS. I remember on my windows machine I used to right click (I think it was right click) directly on the filename ..it would activate the rename and place the cursor all in one step. But now I am thinking maybe it was a function of my then cool logitec mouse. I do remember using a "single click mode" (again, dont know if this function was in the OS or in my mouse) which was hard to get used to, but very fast and efficient once I got used to it (both file selection for moving, copying etc. & renaming). I am always looking for a way to reduce click count & this was cool b/c to pick a file you did not even have to click, you just moved your cursor over the file.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
To get back to the original question- does anyone know of any plugins for Firefox which give it a print preview option? I prefer Firefox to Safari and this is the only thing that keeps me using Safari too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.