Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesn71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
My daughters ipod has 420 meg used up in "other" memory while mine (with the same music pics and video only has about 80 megs. Does anybody know how I can see the contents of the "Other" memory section?

Thanks for any help.

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
very likely temporary internet files from safari, go to safari options on your touch and delete history/temporary file (or whatever its called) and see what happens. Also a restore via itunes is another option if your desperate to clear it. Have you JB'ed it at all?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
a large chunk of that is likely the OS on the Ipod touch

At lease a portion of the iPod Touch's OS must NOT be included in the 'other' heading. Remember, the downloaded OS dmg is around 150 MB, and that's in a compressed form. The OP has stated that the 'other' section in his iPod Touch currently weighs in at 80 MB, and was looking for an explanation as to why his iPod Touch's 'other' section is so much smaller than his daughter's.

The difference is probably due to cached web pages, email messages (if the Mail app is in use) etc.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
No thats taken away from the whole total. Like I bought a 16GB touch and when I got it there was 14.8GB left. The rest was for the OS...

No, as has been mentioned that's just because of the formatting; that doesn't make any sense anyway. You're saying the OS on your iPod takes up 1.2GB. On my 8GB touch, the total capacity says 7.24GB, meaning that by your logic my OS only takes up .76GB. That isn't right. It just comes down to the 1000/1024 formatting that David G. mentioned.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Well think about it, no iPod is the exact amount that is advertised on the box; my 1G 1GB nano was actually around 790MB, my 5.5G 30GB classic was actually around 27.7GB...taking into account for the fact that the size of updates for these iPods were just mere megabytes indicates that all this space cannot be for the software and instead it comes down to formatting.
The "Other" section on the iPod would be things stored in the preinstalled apps (as they aren't included in the green 'Apps' part of the iPod summary page); your Safari cache, your emails, your notes, stock and weather information, album art, lyrics...

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I always thought other consisted of data from mail/safari and application/games cache/scores etc.

Crank2047

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Englishland
very likely temporary internet files from safari, go to safari options on your touch and delete history/temporary file (or whatever its called) and see what happens. Also a restore via itunes is another option if your desperate to clear it. Have you JB'ed it at all?

1st. What is OS?:confused :confused:
2nd. I did what you said. Didn't work :(
and 3rd. Why do these things allways happen to me!!! :mad:

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
1st. What is OS?:confused :confused:
2nd. I did what you said. Didn't work :(
and 3rd. Why do these things allways happen to me!!! :mad:

1. OS is the Operating System.
2. Back up and restore you iPod. That did it for me. I had like 2GB of data in other afterwards I had less than a Gig.
3. This happens to everybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.