Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eBay

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Im going on a cruise to Mexico in a week and I was just curious..The ship Im going to be traveling on has wi-fi on board throughout the ship and the website even mentions that the iPhone will work on its "Bow2stern" wireless network. My question is if I connect to and use the wifi on the ship will I still rack up a huge data roaming bill?

Thanks

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
Im going on a cruise to Mexico in a week and I was just curious..The ship Im going to be traveling on has wi-fi on board throughout the ship and the website even mentions that the iPhone will work on its "Bow2stern" wireless network. My question is if I connect to and use the wifi on the ship will I still rack up a huge data roaming bill?

Thanks

you wont.
wifi has nothing to do with data roaming charges....

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Just make sure you have data roaming set to off in your settings so that if at some point on your cruise you lose WiFi signal and pick up a cell signal when you're close to port or whatever, the iPhone doesn't start using another providers connection for the data.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Wow that's funny, I was going to post a similar thread because I am going on a cruise in about.. 2 hours around the caribbean and couldn't find on the site if wifi was available. Hopefully it does have wifi. Sucks that I'll be missing the iPhone 3G launch.

I'll miss you guys though! See you July 13th!

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
if you can get iphone 2.0 software before you go it allows you to turn of the cell/3g/gprs radio, and leave wi-fi on. (this is new to the iphone 2.0 software i believe.)

it's covered in the intro to iphone 3g video on apple's website, and is an addition to the old "aeroplane mode"

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I used my iPhone on the wi-fi on a Royal Caribbean ship sailing the Greek Isles last August. Even though it DOES work on the ship you will get the ship connect charges of about 50 cents a minute. I am not sure what they charge right now.

However, I did not end up spending that much compared to the other poor suckers on the ship. It was torture to wait at satelite speeds for everyone on the ship competing for that tiny bandwith when trying to use their computers or even a laptop to get an email. The internet explorer email interfaces took forever to load each message.

The iPhone just did a quick grab of all of my emails in text format and I was able to quickly deal with them. I never spent more than $1 or $2 dealing with all of mail each day and I was in and out of the computer lounge before some managed to open their first message.

Have fun and do not spend ALL of your time using the ship computers. I was on a 3 week Europe trip and did not want stuff to back up.

PS: If you guys want info on your cruises go check out http://www.cruisecritic.com you can find out ANYTHING there from others who have taken the same cruises or ships.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
The price for on-board WiFi is aprox 55c/min, but they make you buy bulk in 50 or 100min lots (which arn't refundiable if you don't use it all up)

As the person said above they have quite limited band-width so downloading a whole heap of new apps from the App Store probably will be a bit slow! ;)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If you're getting a 3G iPhone, load it up with apps, then see if you can go up to the deck, i'm sure the higher up staff would sort you out a deal, if you demoed the iPhone/let them have a go! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.