Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
There must be a really easy way to do this, but I have been importing from our video camera to iMovie and I can't see a way to burn the project to DVD!!??

Please help. :confused::confused:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Use iDVD if you have it, check in your applications folder.

There is a button on later versions of iMovie that send the project directly to iDVD and allow you to create the DVD from there, otherwise you need to output the video as DV Stream and then import into iDVD.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Use iDVD if you have it, check in your applications folder.

There is a button on later versions of iMovie that send the project directly to iDVD and allow you to create the DVD from there, otherwise you need to output the video as DV Stream and then import into iDVD.
But iMovie '08 has no such button, which is why I ask. But, yes, involving iDVD is definitely the way to go.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Yes it is iMovie 08, and I did look for the button!

What do I need to do then?

Also, in future, is there a better way to do it? I am importing from a mini DVD and the camera has a 'video' and 'VR' mode?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
...otherwise you need to output the video as DV Stream and then import into iDVD.

I don't think you need to do that. You should be able to just drag your iMovie project (from the finder) into iDVD. Then you can set up your menus, etc, if you want, and you're done. This is one of those things where Apple makes it so simple it's easy to overlook the obvious.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I'm using an older version of iMovie/iDVD, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving you bad advice. In previous versions of iMovie and iDVD you can move your iMovie project into iDVD any of these ways:

- in iMovie, select 'Export...' in the 'File' menu, then click the iDVD tab then the 'Share' button.

- in iMovie, select 'iDVD' under the 'Share' menu, then the 'Share' button.

- in iDVD, create a new project ('File' --> 'New' or select 'Create a New Project' in the default window), then drag your iMovie project icon (from the Finder) into the iDVD project window. I've used this simple method many times.

Now I'm not so sure the drag and drop method still works. I checked the iDVD support page on apple.com, and in the 'Getting Started' PDF file it says:

"To use an iMovie movie in iDVD, you must first choose Share > Media Browser in iMovie. Specify which size of movie to share, and then click Publish. Large is the suggested size for use in iDVD. If your camcorder does not shoot high-definition video, however, the large size option may not be available.

The shared movie is then automatically available in the Movies pane of iDVD."

Then it sounds like you have to add the movie within iDVD project as described in Step 4 of the 'Getting Started' instructions.

Good luck. Sorry if I caused any confusion with my previous post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.