Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Continued from the previous thread through a dimensional rift

10thplanet.jpg

Life depends on change, and renewal...

Reactions: mrsmith1

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

But they sealed the dimensional rift for good the first time, and there was a way back, so I wouldn't put it past a motivated Doctor to find a way to augment the dimensional jumping tech that the alternate dimension has and come back to hang out with River.

Where he'd get his hands on another TARDIS though would be an interesting story.

Maybe there's going to be another spinoff about Rose's dimension and hers and the Doctor's adventures there...:rolleyes:

Yeah, never say never, however the TARDIS requirement would be a bit of a show-stopper. ;)

Oh God please no. :p ;) I can handle Torchwood, as Season 2 was surprisingly better than I expected (especially after the torture that was Season 1) and I don't watch Sarah Jane as I assume it's more kid-oriented, but regardless, another spin-off is just too much... :eek:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Maybe now I can keep up. But then again when I miss the latest episode (and I lack all the historical perspective), I doubt it will ever be possible :(

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Brilliant way to kick off the thread Jaffa! I was thinking of using the regeneration angle as well - great minds think alike! ;) :D

Although we have a shiny new thread to post in, I suppose there won't be a ton of activity, what with there being no more Who until the Xmas Special. ;) Regardless it's nice to have a place to post news, rumors and discussion as they may come up. I'm sure there will still be some carry-over from the previous thread and the Season Finale as well in the meantime. :cool:

I hereby nickname this thread the Troughton Thread! :D :cool:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sorry, not the smoothest of jumps. That's what happens when you put a companion's hands on the levers of the Tardis. :eek:

Golly, of all the times and places in the universe, I open the doors to see...

Cardiff.

:D

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Does SciFi carry the latest episodes of the Doctor? or are we behind? (In the US)

The US is better now, we're only about 3 weeks behind or so, but as pointed out in the other thread we do sometimes miss out on bits as the SciFi channel edits for length.

This weeks episode then three more ending this season on August 1.

When the SciFi channel started airing it they were nearly a full year behind. It's better but the editing and being behind are too much for me (and my wife) to bear...

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
They are editing it?!?! WTF?

Too many bloody commercials. :rolleyes:

I totally missed it this past weekend, I need to get me some TiVo or something. Are all the previous season DVDs out in the US?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
They are editing it?!?! WTF?

Too many bloody commercials. :rolleyes:

I totally missed it this past weekend, I need to get me some TiVo or something. Are all the previous season DVDs out in the US?

They have been known to cut stuff out in the interest of cramming it into the hour that they have allotted, the BBC evidently has a much more lax scheduling procedure as mentioned in the other thread, the show rarely starts at the same time from week to week.

I'm pretty sure that the previous 3 seasons are all available in the U.S. right now.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
So the Sci-Fi Network is behind, and hasn't shown the Season 4 finale yet? That sucks. And you say they edit the episodes sometimes as well? How are they going to handle the finale then, since it was closer to a full hour as opposed to the usual 45 minutes?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
So the Sci-Fi Network is behind, and hasn't shown the Season 4 finale yet? That sucks. And you say they edit the episodes sometimes as well? How are they going to handle the finale then, since it was closer to a full hour as opposed to the usual 45 minutes?

They cut out some of the Master dancing in last years finale to accommodate space and I'm guessing they'll do more of the same for this one.

Of course I am not behind, but I know plenty of others who are. The fact that they have cut bits before makes me less likely to change my watching habits. Not only do I get to be a few weeks ahead of the curve, but I also get to see everything.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
They cut out some of the Master dancing in last years finale to accommodate space and I'm guessing they'll do more of the same for this one.

Of course I am not behind, but I know plenty of others who are. The fact that they have cut bits before makes me less likely to change my watching habits. Not only do I get to be a few weeks ahead of the curve, but I also get to see everything.

How come you are not behind? you got BBC international or something?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
How come you are not behind? you got BBC international or something?

I think the method that some here (including myself) use for acquiring the shows in a more timely manner would fall under the "or something" heading.

Given that Journey's End clocked in at 65 minutes in length, there's gong to be some serious episode butchering if they want to trim it down to an hour including commercial breaks...

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'll handle that one...I might have to watch the SciFi version just to see. I still TiVo every episode on SciFi on the off chance DirecTV is monitoring any watching habits, or rather, recording habits.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I might have to look into the others. :D

Amazing to me how giant media companies screw things up, then they whine about what ppl have to do. :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't imagine Doctor Who stopping every 10-15 minutes for an ad break :eek:
Is New Who on UK Gold? I really want to see how it would look.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
I hereby nickname this thread the Troughton Thread! :D :cool:

Lol sounds like some sort of disease... "Sorry sir, but you have Troughton Thread. Have you been walking around barefooted in pond water, recently?"

the BBC evidently has a much more lax scheduling procedure as mentioned in the other thread, the show rarely starts at the same time from week to week.

BBC scheduling is always being upset by something or other. In ways it's good because you can have 65 minute long Doctor Who episodes, but in others it's really annoying because things are pushed out of the way for Football, Eurovision, etc.

I can't imagine Doctor Who stopping every 10-15 minutes for an ad break :eek:

Ahhh!! You're filling my mind with terrible thoughts! D:

:p

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Much Ado said:
Now that everything is wrapped up nicely, and all the threads have been tied up, and we've had the prefect final shot of the doctor alone in the cosmos once more...

... does it not make sense to end there? If you don't end on an episode like that, then when will you end?

Never. ;) It's Doctor Who...it doesn't end. It went 27 years the first go-round, and RTD made a comment about laying the foundation for at least 20 years this time too. They're sort of taking a year off next year for a bit of a break, but it will continue indefinitely until the ratings go down the tubes. When you have a show where the entire cast changes regularly, where you have no set locations that you're tied to (well, aside from Cardiff ;) ), and where you have all of space and time to play with, it doesn't make sense to end.

~Shard~ said:
I don't watch Sarah Jane as I assume it's more kid-oriented

A bit, but not to the point of being stupid or anything. Doctor Who itself is kid-oriented, after all; in fact, one of the stories I thought was actually more mature than Doctor Who normally is. Although they did bring back the Slitheen. :rolleyes: Watch it; it's pretty good, and even uses the "proper" Doctor Who format (25 minutes or so + cliffhangers).

but regardless, another spin-off is just too much...

So you're not ready for the K-9 spinoff? ;) OK, that one might be too much (even if it is real)....

--Eric

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
For this new thread regeneration, could we do away with the white text?

Try reading this on the iPhone or touch. :rolleyes:

1) Put a spoiler tag in the thread title or,
2) People can refrain from reading the thread until after watching the show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.