Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Ok. So I found out that Transmission caused all of the instability on Leopard, causing graphic glitches and hangs throughout the system, even after quitting it. Not cool, since Transmission was my favorite torrent client, having good speeds and a simple interface. Quite a bummer really. I found out after having run Parallels (which I first thought was the culprit) for a week with no downtime. After having Transmission run for a day, boom, system freeze, chokes and graphic glitches.

Anyways I then went to my second best choice: Azureus which I remember was a bit slow on the interface side but at least stable and quick on the download side. I realize a new version called Vuze is out. Cool, maybe the made it even better? Wrong. They made it worse. Now it's some kind of Facebook/youtube client side thingy where I can do all sorts of private configuration except for one thing: I want to be able to look at number of seeders, leechers, up/down ratio etc. etc. but no. Not possible. Not only does this gargantuan of an application not show you the simplest information, it also has 20 or so tabs with different content and no consistent navigability, it also doesn't give any space for your actual downloads!! It's a not torrent app anymore, it's a party app with a feel of some malware website that spams all kinds of indifferent information into your face... What the hell is going on?

Anyways, the real point of this thread is to find an alternative to Transmission and this 'spamming client from Hell Vuze' which I will immediately remove for good on my system... Any good ideas?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i have found Transmission to not freeze after quitting in recent times. there has been a few updates recently after Leopard was released so its fair to say that its now pretty stable.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
i have found Transmission to not freeze after quitting in recent times. there has been a few updates recently after Leopard was released so its fair to say that its now pretty stable.

I thought so also, then I looked at the version number of what I just deleted: 1.2.2 (!!!!). The newest version number, making Leopard freeze and causing instability, still. It ain't over yet... :(

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
You have to put the interface into 'Classic' mode. It's in the settings somewhere, but enabling it totally gets rid of all the Vuze tosh and basically like Azureus again.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
works fine for me? are you sure youre its not version 1.22? you might have added an extra period there.

I accidentally added an extra period yes. I am (was) using 1.22.
Let me clarify the problem: it's not that Transmission crashes or anything, it's that it sometimes (sometimes working fine for a week, sometimes it takes no more than a couple of hours running) simply makes the whole system freeze up and run slowly.
I am not ruling out the fact that it might be Transmission with another app (ie. Parallels) that is causing it, I just now know for a fact that it is Transmission.
It doesn't mean it will happen to you, or for all users using it. It just means that it is happening to me, and a number of other users (according to their support forums). Also keep in mind that although we're both running Leopard, we're running on different mac hardware.

You have to put the interface into 'Classic' mode. It's in the settings somewhere, but enabling it totally gets rid of all the Vuze tosh and basically like Azureus again.

YayI found a way to change to classic view in Vuze and it's all good. I just really hope that Transmission will be fixed, since it still has a big place in my torrent heart. :(

Thanks a bunch!

Balty

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Transmission seems to be running fine on the MPB at home....at least for now...
purple-neon-scared.gif

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Transmission kills my iMac, too. :(

I just stick with BitRocket bit it's definitely a program that's showing it's age. It's a shame, really. Someone needs to come out with a modern torrent client that doesn't cause the computers running them to hang.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Roll it back. I found 1.11 to be the most stable version.
Good advice if it wasn't for me hating having outdated apps installed. I am pretty certain as well that there was some pretty nasty bugs that have been worked out since then, even if the stability and support for Leopard was better.

Transmission kills my iMac, too. :(

I just stick with BitRocket bit it's definitely a program that's showing it's age. It's a shame, really. Someone needs to come out with a modern torrent client that doesn't cause the computers running them to hang.

Haven't tried BitRocket but if it is just half as old as TomatoTorrent, then no thx. TomatoTorrent was horribly outdated functionwise :eek:

ddoonie

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Good advice if it wasn't for me hating having outdated apps installed. I am pretty certain as well that there was some pretty nasty bugs that have been worked out since then, even if the stability and support for Leopard was better.

Haven't tried BitRocket but if it is just half as old as TomatoTorrent, then no thx. TomatoTorrent was horribly outdated functionwise :eek:

Fair enough. I am the same with all other apps, but with transmission i've learned over and over again. Each new version fixes something, breaks something else. So i stick with whats working for now, gives me good rates, and what else do i need.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Vuze is bloated and annoying, but with older Azerus builds no longer supported, it's safer. Still the best torrent app for OSX that I've found...

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Vuze sucks it crashes everything, Transmission though different (Couldn't think of the other word) to what others say actually uses little memory and doesn't make me lose half my stuff.

Go transmission again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.