Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
This first came up when a faulty left fan caused my computer to heat up into a stall, which forced me to turn off the computer without shutting down (for the first time since getting the computer, albeit second hand). From then on it's been consistently going to the blue screen. The obvious solution would be to run disk utility from the install disc, but I can't load any discs from the drive (I've had this problem already). Holding down C does nothing, no disc will load from startup.

Any ideas? Any way to do this without the install disc? Or any other way to run disk utility?

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Try unplugging everything and with it turned off obviosly, take out the battery, and then hold down the power button for 5 seconds. then put the battery back in and turn it on with nothing pluged in.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
This first came up when a faulty left fan caused my computer to heat up into a stall, which forced me to turn off the computer without shutting down (for the first time since getting the computer, albeit second hand). From then on it's been consistently going to the blue screen. The obvious solution would be to run disk utility from the install disc, but I can't load any discs from the drive (I've had this problem already). Holding down C does nothing, no disc will load from startup.

Any ideas? Any way to do this without the install disc? Or any other way to run disk utility?

Try booting in safe mode and see if you can do that. I had this problem just recently on an iMac G5 and it turned out the logic board was bad. The only way i could get the computer to fully boot up was in safe mode. Also, if you have an external bootable HD try to boot form that (hold option). If it is the logic board and the computer is out of warranty you are pretty much SOL. If it is still under service then get it looked at ASAP.

dallew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks

Thanks, is that resetting the PMU? I tried that but I did have it plugged in when I started up. What will that do exactly? (without the plug...)

I'll try that when I get home, in any case...

dallew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks, prostuff

Try booting in safe mode and see if you can do that. I had this problem just recently on an iMac G5 and it turned out the logic board was bad. The only way i could get the computer to fully boot up was in safe mode. Also, if you have an external bootable HD try to boot form that (hold option). If it is the logic board and the computer is out of warranty you are pretty much SOL. If it is still under service then get it looked at ASAP.
Thanks, actually I'm not sure about the warranty, my wife got it off eBay. We're thinking about sending it back if we can't fix it... these problems came with it. (The guy said that would be fine... professional seller.) I do have an external HD, will try that also.

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks, is that resetting the PMU? I tried that but I did have it plugged in when I started up. What will that do exactly? (without the plug...)

I'll try that when I get home, in any case...

I called apple care with video problems and the service agent told me to do that. 3 weeks later still no issues. The agent said it would reset something (I don't know what, or can't remember, thats why I called them, but it did seem to work.)

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
You can boot into safe mode by holding down shift when you boot the computer up. I tried everything with my iMac (all the tricks with SMU, PMU, NVRAM, etc.).

You really need to get the computer looked at as soon as possible and hopefully it is still able to be fixed for free. If it is the logic board it will be a very expensive fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.