Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
ok my grandparents are taking over my iphone do i just pick the option activate as new phone ? and would they get a new number and would i no longer be eligable? thank you

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
ok my grandparents are taking over my iphone do i just pick the option activate as new phone ? and would they get a new number and would i no longer be eligable? thank you

If they have an ATT account already, and have a sim card that has the 3G logo on it, all they need to do is put it in the old iphone, connect it to their mac or pc with iTunes open, and it should auto load up the activation process. If they don't have an ATT account, I think they can get a blank one at an ATT store.

The activation process has several options for different situations. If they have an account already, you choose replace existing phone on your account. The next page will ask for their cell number. Then as it confirms, they enter things like zip code and last 4 digits of social security. I just did this with a friends iPhone.

Check out youtube, plenty of step by step videos of activating an iPhone.

Also, check out this article:
http://gizmodo.com/5023575/people-w...-be-eligible-for-subsidized-iphone-3g-upgrade

Only read the update. At first they got wrong information. But they say now you can sell your iPhone and still be eligible, as long as you don't buy another subsidized phone in the meantime.

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
no they dont already have an account so what should i do now

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
no they dont already have an account so what should i do now

Well you should wait until you get your new iPhone 3g to start with, to avoid any possible complications. But after that, you need to just go down to AT&T and ask for a new sim card for your iPhone. You put the new sim card in the old phone, connect it to iTunes, and activate it like usual.

AT&T made a video describing the process. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOh9nJJyxJQ&feature=related)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.