Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swgms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
When I originally purchased my ipod touch I was on a windows computer. I recently purchased a mac and used my ipod on the new computer like normal. When I went to reformat it so I could update to the new 2.0 (when ever it comes out) everything went smooth, or so i think.

Just to make sure it worked right I plugged in the ipod into my windows box becuase I was under the impression that it would not read a mac formatted ipod.

However, when I plugged it in I got the full itunes start up and it only asked me would I like to move my music to this ipod. there was no formatting questions that I was aware of.

I didn't know if this was normal, or if there was a way I could check the format of my ipod. the guides I found only worked with the ipod classics not the touch.

Any ideas?

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
When I originally purchased my ipod touch I was on a windows computer. I recently purchased a mac and used my ipod on the new computer like normal. When I went to reformat it so I could update to the new 2.0 (when ever it comes out) everything went smooth, or so i think.

Just to make sure it worked right I plugged in the ipod into my windows box becuase I was under the impression that it would not read a mac formatted ipod.

However, when I plugged it in I got the full itunes start up and it only asked me would I like to move my music to this ipod. there was no formatting questions that I was aware of.

I didn't know if this was normal, or if there was a way I could check the format of my ipod. the guides I found only worked with the ipod classics not the touch.

Any ideas?

Because their is no "disk mode" for the touch, I am not sure it matters what file format the internal flash is,
From what I have heard internally it is HFS+ due to it running the mobile MacOS,
But just like when you connect a PC to a mac, the OS will sort out the format issues and copy files (music/video/apps etc) freely, this is what the touch and Itunes do (PC or Mac)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.