Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
yesterday i bought some apps on my home computer, is there anyway to get them on a different computer? i tried clicking "Check for Purchases" but it didn't work. i won't be back home until monday so it would be good if i could get them today so i can have them for the weekend and the hour and a half ride later on today.

mitchlandry

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Sure can. I did the same thing yesterday, bought some apps on work computer and needed to get them to home computer.

For your second computer, verify the check box for the app sync, it will then ask if you want to transfer your apps or not. Choose transfer and the apps will be put on your 2nd machine.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
but don't you already have to have them on the ipod to do that? i have an ipod touch so i haven't been able to put the apps on it yet due to 2.0 isn't out (or leaked) for the ipod touch. is there any way to redownload them for free on a authorized computer

mitchlandry

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Don't know, i have 2.0 fw and had them on iPhone.
you could always try copying the actual .ipa files and putting on your second authorized computer.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Sure can. I did the same thing yesterday, bought some apps on work computer and needed to get them to home computer.

For your second computer, verify the check box for the app sync, it will then ask if you want to transfer your apps or not. Choose transfer and the apps will be put on your 2nd machine.

WHere is this verify app sync?

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
The actual App Binaries are under ~/music/itunes/mobile applications . I imagine if you have a thumb drive or disk you can just move those.

mitchlandry

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
WHere is this verify app sync?

Sorry, typed that a little confusing.
On your second machine, under the app tab in itunes, the app sync will be unchecked (at least mine was). Select apps to be synced on 2nd machine and it will pull over the apps that were purchase on 1st machine.

I purchased some apps last night on my home machine and when i got to work and clicked sync, it pulled the apps over to my itunes on my work machine.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm actually wondering if you can re-download certain apps directly to your phone, that you already downloaded to iTunes on to your computer!

Basically, I downloaded a bunch of apps yesterday, pre-2.0, on my home computers. Most were free, with a couple of paid ones (Super Monkey Ball). I FINALLY downloaded 2.0 this morning, but got stuck with the "Accessing iTunes Store" message that everyone's been getting (see related thread). After about 25 minutes of waiting, I finally had to disconnect my phone and head to work, without being able to load any of the apps I downloaded yesterday. This sucks, as I really wanted to use them and show them to other people today. I won't be back home until VERY late, and I probably won't be able to load from home until tomorrow morning.

So can I try and download them again via the App Store icon on my phone? I'm assuming it's no problem with the free apps, but will I get charged again if I try and download Super Monkey Ball?

EDIT: I can't download the latest iTunes at work, so I can't do the above method with my work computer.

fluff

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Does it tell you that All applications and data will be replaced with the apps and data in this library? Thats what it tells me...I just want to be able to buy apps from home and from work....

mitchlandry

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Does it tell you that All applications and data will be replaced with the apps and data in this library? Thats what it tells me...I just want to be able to buy apps from home and from work....

I recieved the same message when one of my machines was not authorized under my acount. Verify both computers are set as authorized.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I recieved the same message when one of my machines was not authorized under my acount. Verify both computers are set as authorized.

I wonder what happens when you have two differnet people using the same computer (each has an iphone)

for example, my gf and I use the same computer....so whens she buys apps and I buy apps, I'm guessing that it will still work even though only one itunes account can be logged in at once?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.