Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
It's the button that says OPTION.
Except on international keyboards, where the symbol is labeled ⌥
Not everyone's keyboard looks just like yours.

Right next to ....Open Apple.

Ahh, I see your problem. You're still using an Apple II series machine. No wonder.

In case you're wondering, Apple's new "Mac" line now has command keys, always labeled with the ⌘ symbol (sometimes, but not always, dual-labeled with the open-Apple symbol.)

Hope you get a newer computer soon...those fifteen-year-old Apples were solid, but they're showing their age now. :)

hedgert

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Not alll keyboards are the same

The helpful response about it being the button labelled OPTION was not what I was looking for from the Mac community when I had exactly the same question.
I have a brand new MacBook Air, and the relevant button (thanks to the other posts for making it clear) is labelled "alt" and a symbol a bit like an equals sign with a line before it. So a sensible question and I'm glad someone actually answered it!

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
Here it is on my keyboard, its the one that has 'alt' and 'option' on it. There is another option key the other side of the keyboard though.

Attachments

• DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 93

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
Saying "not to be rude, but..." does not absolve you of the act. It is kind of like saying "not to apologize, but, I'm sorry." Both are insincere.

You must admit it is funny that people don't know where the option key is. It's like me asking where the 'ANY' key is.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
As there is just 'alt' and ⌥ on the option key on the new Air keyboard ~ expect more questions about the option key.
To the OP, sorry you received so many unhelpful answers.
S.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You must admit it is funny that people don't know where the option key is. It's like me asking where the 'ANY' key is.

No to both statements. Perhaps finding humor in that is finding conceit in oneself. Perhaps their Option key is not marked clearly, or marked as yours is. Perhaps someone looking for the ANY key mistakenly thought he/she heard "the" before it, or read that into a sentence when it wasn't actually there. Most things have explanations. You presume to know too much.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden

My keyboard only says 'alt' and ⌥, nothing about option. Now I didn't have any problem with this, but I'm sure newbies can have.

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
No to both statements. Perhaps finding humor in that is finding conceit in oneself. Perhaps their Option key is not marked clearly, or marked as yours is. Perhaps someone looking for the ANY key mistakenly thought he/she heard "the" before it, or read that into a sentence when it wasn't actually there. Most things have explanations. You presume to know too much.

Im not finding conceit in myself, it's just even before I started using macs I knew where all the keys were etc... So I assume others would be able to use initiative to work it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.