Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Opening Up iPhone Developer Program

When Apple announced the iPhone Developers program in March, they made it clear that during the beta period that they would limit the number of approved developers. At WWDC, Steve Jobs revealed that of the 25,000 applicants interested in the program, only 4,000 had been accepted. From these 4,000 developers, Apple was able to launch the App Store with over 500 applications.

Based on reports from developers, it seems Apple has opened the program up and dropped the "beta" designation. Multiple developers have reported that they have been accepted into the $99/year developer program which allows them to install their applications directly onto their iPhone and also submit their apps for inclusion into the iTunes App Store.

The opening up of the program should motivate more developers to start serious development on the iPhone. It should also eliminate the non disclosure agreement which prevented developers from discussing their future applications.

We have added a new iPhone Developer forum to encourage developer participation and discussion. Meanwhile, Mac developers are also welcome to participate in our long standing Mac Developer forum.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Doodledoo
macrumors regular

It's about time they did
Doodledoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
a1016neo
macrumors regular

More Apps for Me!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4
yoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodledoo View Post
It's about time they did
I was about to type the same thing. Now things can really get going. I'm looking forward to apps made from major mobile Development companies, Skyscape (medical), Adobe, TeleNav, EA Games, etc...
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Let's hope this doesn't slow down the already kind of slow app review process.

It gets especially annoying when you have important updates that your users need and have to wait until Apple reviews them.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:54 PM   #6
l0ne
macrumors newbie

Except...

... except we still are under NDA and it's my personal opinion that it won't lift anytime soon.

So there.
l0ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
yoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ne View Post
... except we still are under NDA and it's my personal opinion that it won't lift anytime soon.

So there.
that sucks....
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:55 PM   #8
philwa2
macrumors newbie

has anyone recieved anything back from the developer program once they had purchased the iphone developer program subscription through the apple online store?

I had confirmation of my order (and it being electronically delivered)- but havent recieved any instruction on what to do next??
philwa2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:00 PM   #9
jackjason
macrumors regular

so..
skype (with skyout)
mms,
video camera reocding,

I am waitting for above 3 apps..
jackjason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:01 PM   #10
dizastor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ne View Post

So there.
Which means no Adium

At least according to the Adium devs.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:07 PM   #11
sam10685
macrumors 68000

It needs the Monopoly game. Or Uno. Or any more board or card games. (I like nostalgic feelings and stuff. lol.)

Last edited by sam10685; Jul 12, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
sam10685 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:09 PM   #12
fastbite
macrumors 6502a

Brilliant! Now let's get better apps -- don't get me wrong, some are great already but some are rather crap...
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Sirobin
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Sirobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizastor View Post
Which means no Adium

Uhg...my thoughts exactly. I was really hoping this would mean the NDA was lifted...I want Adium.
Sirobin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:15 PM   #14
amphibious
macrumors member

Did this used to be free?
amphibious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:19 PM   #15
Imperil
macrumors member

Just as a little update the program is definitely totally open. I have been building an application with the SDK since the release but didn't even apply for the program as I live in Canada and did not have access to the device.

I just picked up my iPhone this morning And since I knew I was last night I joined up to the developer program and was accepted immediately and now have full access.

So it seems it really is open completely for registration at this time.
Imperil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:19 PM   #16
rstansby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjason View Post
so..
skype (with skyout)
mms,
video camera reocding,

I am waitting for above 3 apps..
Fortunately for you the iPhone has the ability to load 3rd party software so there is a good chance that you will see applications that do these exact functions. No cell phone is perfect for everyone. They are all missing features that some people want. With most cell phones you are stuck with what comes from the factory with little or no ability to upgrade. And once a new version of a phone comes out the old phone is pretty much abandoned as far as support goes.

Apple rocks.
rstansby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:34 PM   #17
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizastor View Post
Which means no Adium

I'm not following. What does an NDA have to do with Adium?
solipsism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:35 PM   #18
JAYGEE
macrumors member

Any chance of Microsoft putting msn messenger on the iPhone/iPod touch?

No I didn't think so
JAYGEE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:36 PM   #19
nagromme
macrumors G4

I applied ages ago and was only accepted on Friday. Clearly the beta was limited (only makes sense) but that certainly seems to have changed!

I'm actually very encouraged by the fact that I see some apps in the App Store that look pretty poor. It means Apple's being fairly hands-off, as I'd hoped.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:41 PM   #20
tny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
I'm not following. What does an NDA have to do with Adium?
I imagine that the posters are implying that the developers of Adium have expressed a philosophical opposition to Apple's iPhone NDA, and so won't join the iPhone developer program. They have a blog, most likely any such state of affairs would be explained there.
tny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:41 PM   #21
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I applied ages ago and was only accepted on Friday. Clearly the beta was limited (only makes sense) but that certainly seems to have changed!

I'm actually very encouraged by the fact that I see some apps in the App Store that look pretty poor. It means Apple's being fairly hands-off, as I'd hoped.
I, too, was accepted on Friday. Though I feel the opposite than you. I don't want a bunch of poor apps on the iPhone. I figured that the 500+ available at launch would have been tried an tested with Apple working closely with developers to make them stable. A way of showing the quality of the store and setting a precedence. After all, we can't test an app before we buy it so we need to pretty confidant that it will work as expected.

Too me, it seems they have taken the only aspect of the launch that went well and have known thrown a wrench into it.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:43 PM   #22
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tny View Post
I imagine that the posters are implying that the developers of Adium have expressed a philosophical opposition to Apple's iPhone NDA, and so won't join the iPhone developer program. They have a blog, most likely any such state of affairs would be explained there.
Thanks. I'll look that up. That does suck as Adium is simply the best IM client.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:43 PM   #23
brewno
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to brewno Send a message via Skype™ to brewno
All I need now is MSN, Skype and TomTom.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz i7, iPad Mini 64Gb, iPhone 5S 64Gb, iPod 60Gb, iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV 40Gb
brewno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:51 PM   #24
nigrunze
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYGEE View Post
Any chance of Microsoft putting msn messenger on the iPhone/iPod touch?

No I didn't think so
They can barely manage to make a good version for Mac. Once they add video/audio chat to the desktop Mac version, that's when they'll create an iPhone app. But it'll cost money, and only let us see who is online but not send them any messages, and it'll only let us set our user status to invisible.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 PM   #25
min_t
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
I, too, was accepted on Friday. Though I feel the opposite than you. I don't want a bunch of poor apps on the iPhone. I figured that the 500+ available at launch would have been tried an tested with Apple working closely with developers to make them stable. A way of showing the quality of the store and setting a precedence. After all, we can't test an app before we buy it so we need to pretty confidant that it will work as expected.

Too me, it seems they have taken the only aspect of the launch that went well and have known thrown a wrench into it.
Totally Disagree. It shouldn't be Apple's job to determine what users want or don't want. The creamy apps will rise to the top. The crap will fade away. We can't always tell what will be popular, so let's give everyone a chance at the million dollars.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion