Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Obviously I know it has nothing to do with that hardware, but sometimes my new iphone lags..big time. I used an unlocked iphone for months, and never had the problems im having now with the previous software. For example sometimes when im typing a text, it goes realll slow..almost like in slow motion i see each letter "pop" up and its a 2 second delay (for each letter). Or when I'm trying to scroll my contacts its lags as well. I'm currently using the 2.0 (5A345) version of the OS that shipped with the phone. Anyone else having these "lag" issues?

Jblack4083

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
I had this issue twice and just turned it off then turned it back on. It's because too many things have been open. Whenever I open, AIM, Photobucket, Facebook, Myspace, Safari, iPod, Messaging, and BofA all at the same time, things get a little slow. There should be a quick way to clear all the processes.

Whitecloak

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
100%. I am definitely getting little lag spikes here and there. My feeling is that some of my apps may be causing it. I don't know how thoroughly Apple is testing these things before they get released for download.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Was just thinking the same thing. Typing is slow and hangs when opening settings and other programs. Seems to lag more than my 1st generation iphone.

playless13

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2004
illinois
I'm still using the original iPhone, using 2.0 software, and I've definitely noticed a lag. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the apps can't run simultaneously...

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I had this issue twice and just turned it off then turned it back on. It's because too many things have been open. Whenever I open, AIM, Photobucket, Facebook, Myspace, Safari, iPod, Messaging, and BofA all at the same time, things get a little slow. There should be a quick way to clear all the processes.

This isn't entirely accurate. Remember during the keynote speech that applications will not be able to run in the background until later this year? This is a good call on Apple's part, for now.

When you leave an application, FB, Pandora, AIM, they close automatically.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
This isn't entirely accurate. Remember during the keynote speech that applications will not be able to run in the background until later this year? This is a good call on Apple's part, for now.

When you leave an application, FB, Pandora, AIM, they close automatically.

yes, but there's some interesting behavior to some apps. for example, AIM. if you leave the setting set to not log out upon exit, when you go to another app and come back to aim, you're still logged in and if you received messages while you were away, the messages have been received and waiting for you (you just don't get an alert while outside of the app). I'm not entirely sure what's going on to allow that to happen, but it just seems interesting

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Having lag issues here, mostly in SMS and a bit in Contacts too. On an iPhone 3G.

Hopefully 2.0.1 will come soon.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Yes.

I'm particular noticeing lag in two areas:

Address book & SMS.

Address book is laggy when entering and saving contacts, and when adding multiple people to an SMS message, through address book, the slide up panel is also lagging.

R-Fly

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I remember the first iPhone also had a little lag at first but a couple of software updates later it was mostly gone. I notice it mostly when deleting mail messages.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
i have this same issue... keyboard is extremely laggy, and of course a reboot fixes it until i decide to actually utilize some of the apps i purchased

nomadpass

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Yes the keyboard is sometimes laggy but I dont have to restart. I just press the home button and back into whatever I was doing and it seems to help so far.

ahmedrah

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
"E" instead of "3G"

My phone is readying "E" in the status menu on the top...3G is turned on, but not showing? As anyone seen this yet? I'm in Dallas!! Major metroplex! should be everywhere!

semperfimarine2

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Austin Texas
My phone is readying "E" in the status menu on the top...3G is turned on, but not showing? As anyone seen this yet? I'm in Dallas!! Major metroplex! should be everywhere!

Yes this happens to me, (maybe it's just a glitch) as well as the lag....I'm getting lag right now as I'm typing this. Another thing I'm not too happy with, is the service I have. When I had the original iPhone (got stolen) I had 5 bars 95% of the time I was at home, now it seems to be the opposite (95% of the time with 1-2 bars).

Anyone else with the same problems im having?

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
This could definitely be a hardware issue in that the iphone's new firmware has more features than the current hardware can handle. Also, when you open an app and it is laggy then go back to home and open it again and it's faster I suspect that is because the processor is using caching. I really hope the iphone chipset gets upgraded to dual core at least

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005

Dude, wrong thread

eddy123

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
When I use it with the English interface, I found there is no problem at all. But, when I changed it to other language interface, it IS a bit laggy

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I've had apps, like bloomberg, crash and then the whole iPhone goes wonky. Like playing a music video didn't have audio anymore, other downloaded apps not getting past loading screens, had to restart. So who knows what these apps are doing to the phone after you close them

Last I synced there were like 7 reports of crashes to send to apple. That was just a single day.

Just now I was trying to do my first post on this forum through the iPhone. I was listening to music, and in Safari. I messed up a word after typing 3 paragraphs. I hit backspace, really fast, it got unresponsive and I kept going to far. The music skipped. Tried to fix it again, then Safari crashed to the home screen, losing all the I typed.

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
If you're new 3G iPhone is a bit laggy, make sure you check your version. As version 2.0 (5A345) is the premature version that was meant for v1 2.0 iPhones and somehow was put on the new 3G iPhones. You should be on version 2.0 (5A347). I just restored my iPhone to the newer version and no more lagging and it seems to be running much more smoothly with less hiccups.

Aydo

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I had some lag and restored my iPhone 3G to the new firmware and it seems to have fixed it.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
If you're new 3G iPhone is a bit laggy, make sure you check your version. As version 2.0 (5A345) is the premature version that was meant for v1 2.0 iPhones and somehow was put on the new 3G iPhones. You should be on version 2.0 (5A347). I just restored my iPhone to the newer version and no more lagging and it seems to be running much more smoothly with less hiccups.

If this is true, why hasn't ATT or Apple sent a notice, e-mail, sms, something, to check their version? Are they just going to sweep it under the rug and let all the non-tech users use their new 3G iPhone forever with laggy firmware, and only those that check online and asked questions find out about it?

Mine has crashed several times, got real laggy often (like trying to create a new contact and hitting the name field does nothing), and hiccups on a few things. Checked the firmware, it's the 5A345.

Guess I'll do a restore later.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
It isn't true. My v1 iPhone has the 37 build firmware, updated via iTunes yesterday, so it clearly isn't 3g-specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.