Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
$200 million isn't even going to come close to covering the warranty costs involved.

This can be quite a logistical issue for Apple if they end up issuing a recall. If a new casing is coming for Montevina then that likely means the logic board won't be a swappable part. IOW, a new MPB for every single sold over the past year. How many have they sold, anyone know? This seems like a multi-billion $$ problem.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I'm also worried. I only recently made the switch from Windows to Mac and from having multiple computers (a mobile one and a fast desktop one) to having just one. And because I need speed and mobility it's a MBP. And because I'm still a student and can't afford more, this laptop must last at least 6 years.

I'm doing a lot of things which are demanding to the GPU like Maya, Blender, Cinema, AE and FCP. And soon I will be running Snow Leopard and then even Word will use the GPU. So YES, I'm worried.

Honestly I hope that just in the moment when Apple has a new MBP which is hopefully still in my warranty, my MBP will crash and they will exchange it to a new chipset. Much faster and flawless.
The other, more safe option is selling my MBP for a MacPro but then I would loose the important mobility. Luckily my warranty expires in February 09, so there is still plenty of time to figure out everything.

If Apple decides to release a firmware update/new GPU drivers to make the fans run faster I recommend everyone NOT to install it. It's not solving the base of the problem and therefore will only DELAY the death of the laptop. So it's death is after the (overpriced) AppleCare is over.

Thats the thing though, if you wait and say the new mbp is out in the next month then your current mbp will drop instantly $600-800 and wont be as desired since the gpu issue, especially later on when more people hear about it.

Then you would need to purchase apple care and pray that it breaks down 3 times within the next 2 years that you own the mbp because it takes 3 repairs for apple swap it out for the newer mbp. But in the meantime those logicboard swaps would be swapped out for another logic board with the same defective gpu.

And since the gpu is built in the logic board and im sure there is no newer logic board without the nvidia gpu thats been fixed version. This was similar to the lower memory bank going out issue on the powerbook 15", even out of warranty apple replaced the logic board yet same problems and did nothing else to alleviate the problem.

After I sell the mbp im going to opt for a mac pro (again). Since I can do without portability and that was just a personal preference. At least the mac pros gpu can be swapped out.

doctoree

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
After I sell the mbp im going to opt for a mac pro (again). Since I can do without portability and that was just a personal preference. At least the mac pros gpu can be swapped out.

Are you already sure you will sell it or are you still waiting for official announcements from Apple or Nvidia?

I don't currently need a Laptop but if I would know how everything with my study, internship and job developes I could make a decision. But I can't look into the future.
I just want to avoid selling my MBP and then having to work on a ugly Dell workstation in an agency...

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Are you already sure you will sell it or are you still waiting for official announcements from Apple or Nvidia?

I don't currently need a Laptop but if I would know how everything with my study, internship and job developes I could make a decision. But I can't look into the future.
I just want to avoid selling my MBP and then having to work on a ugly Dell workstation in an agency...

I'm currently selling on ebay and once I get the funds I'm going for the 2.8 8 core mac pro (awesome machine). I originally sold the mac pro and kept the mbp as I only needed one machine and the with the mbp I could get the portability as well.

But ocassionally I do miss the raw more than I need pure and sheer power. So I will take the mac pro plunge again.

I will miss the portability but its just for comfort and not neccessary. Can't wait to get the mac pro again plop in the new ati card!!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Im waiting for the recall from Apple.

Deep down in my gut, I have a feeling there wont be any recall. If there is apple would have to make new logic boards since last years models and I don't see this ever happening and they'll just swap out with another logic board with the same defective GPU to just prolong the issue another year or two.

The 200 million that nvidia lost doesnt begin to describe the damage.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Deep down in my gut, I have a feeling there wont be any recall. If there is apple would have to make new logic boards since last years models and I don't see this ever happening and they'll just swap out with another logic board with the same defective GPU to just prolong the issue another year or two.

The 200 million that nvidia lost doesnt begin to describe the damage.

This would be utterly unacceptable on Apple's part. For the tech savvy, like us, they cannot just tell us they are replacing it with the same defective unit (new logic board w/ non-fixed nvidia). That would be a customer service slap in the face.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Yea, seemingly. I think they just want the people who will never notice or overheat their card to stay calm and not demand a an immediate replacement or fix (it would be a catastrophe). Still, this opens up the chance for anyone with an NVIDIA card to complain if it fails. What can they say "Oh no, that one is not affected and died of natural causes." It would be too weird and definitely not carry weight in court. Apple, on the other hand probably cannot take in millions of laptops at once and fix them (even if the expense becomes nvidia's). I expect everyone high up is twirling their fingers trying to decide what to do to preserve their image.

My recommendation for apple: Stick it to Nvidia. As soon as a fix is out, perhaps, do not make a huge recall but allow an interested party to get a fix immediately. None of us feel good knowing out gpu may die outside of warranty.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Anyother thing that makes me wonder is why are oem vendors still shipping notebooks with the nvidia 8600m gt cards?!?

And if there will be newer batches that are not defective?? If apple gets those, then would it mean that if we ever send in our defective gpu ridden mbp we would get the new logic board with the better part 8600m gt card??

miamiracing

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Arlington,VA ; Nashville,TN
wow that sucks :eek:

i prob. buy a apple care plan soon, and if my mbp brakes down i get it changed :) there meight be a different one out already by the time :D

maybe back to ATI? a lot of people complain since the switch to nvidia and now u see that nvidia fu-- up big time :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Its been burned in my mind now..

Nvidia=Bad
ATI=Heaven

It's always been in my mind that ATi was better, but recently that has changed the other way; this GPU defect doesn't change a thing. I'm an Intel aficionado, so when AMD bought ATi, I wasn't that happy.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Its been burned in my mind now..

Nvidia=Bad
ATI=Heaven

It also has been burned into your mind that every 8600M GT is defective. WHICH IT IS NOT TRUE! NVIDIA said they simply had a higher % rate of failure then the industry standard. With the NVIDIA defect and the 3G iPhone, I am slowly agreeing with one of McCain's people saying this country has grown into a bunch of freaking cry babies.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Anyother thing that makes me wonder is why are oem vendors still shipping notebooks with the nvidia 8600m gt cards?!?

And if there will be newer batches that are not defective?? If apple gets those, then would it mean that if we ever send in our defective gpu ridden mbp we would get the new logic board with the better part 8600m gt card??

This guy keeps saying 100% of these things suffer from the problem. Just because he keeps saying it doesn't mean it's true. It's just scaremongering and is totally unproductive.

Apple will still be able to replace old logic boards the same way they can replace old iPods. Don't be ridiculous.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's quite evident that the "nuts have taken over the asylum". Those who keep ranting about the "end of the world" just because one manufacturer has a problem with a product line (like it's never happened to anyone before) are displaying their ignorance and naiveté! When you have grown up enough to live a while in the real world, you'll realize that sometimes s**t happens and you can either cry about it like a baby, or take a mature approach and say, "OK, here's a problem. What's the most intelligent and effective way of dealing with it?" Then you plan a course of action and move forward. This is how successful, responsible, mature people in the world operate. To spend hours, days or weeks bemoaning, "Woe is me! Something bad happened! It's outrageous! I protest!", especially to an audience who is neither part of the problem or part of the solution, is to display how immature and ridiculous your thinking is. For heaven's sake, GROW UP!!!!

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
It's quite evident that the "nuts have taken over the asylum". Those who keep ranting about the "end of the world" just because one manufacturer has a problem with a product line (like it's never happened to anyone before) are displaying their ignorance and naiveté! When you have grown up enough to live a while in the real world, you'll realize that sometimes s**t happens and you can either cry about it like a baby, or take a mature approach and say, "OK, here's a problem. What's the most intelligent and effective way of dealing with it?" Then you plan a course of action and move forward. This is how successful, responsible, mature people in the world operate. To spend hours, days or weeks bemoaning, "Woe is me! Something bad happened! It's outrageous! I protest!", especially to an audience who is neither part of the problem or part of the solution, is to display how immature and ridiculous your thinking is. For heaven's sake, GROW UP!!!!

The most fitting post I have read so far in this thread. Like you said before, s**t happens!

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
LOL, it is hilarious to watch how many of you are under the spell of jjahshik32, afaik he could just be a student doing his thesis on the power of herd mentality.
I have a question for him though: since you are so convinced the GPU is defective, have you mentioned on ebay that the item you are selling has a GPU that will self destruct anytime?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
It must be very rewarding to have such a good reputation everywhere one goes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919074 :D

Lol, you bring back so many memories. In fact I took back the 46" sony bravia and exchanged to the 52" version and got a perfect screen without any clouding or backlight bleeding. Glad I took it back, it looked so horrible with the cloudings especially in dark scenes.

And now I'm about to do something similar, sell this mbp and opt for a mac pro with worry free of problems.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
If ALL of these were defective, how in th hell could Apple continue selling them on all MacBook Pros as of right now?

I skimmed all 6 pages of this post and didn't find any proof of any of this beside some stupid blog.

This thread is b.s. Why is it still open?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.