Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aditghai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
I downloaded Shazam, a service that lets you identify which song is playing in the background if you hold your phone to the speaker.

On their website it says that they charge $5-$10 a month. Will it come on my AT&T bill because everytime it identifies a song it says sending.

I hope they dont bill me for it as I did not read anything about billing when I downloaded the APP

aditghai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
So, does that mean people who have already downloaded it will have it for free or will we get a message asking us to pay up or remove the App?

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
free = free

So, does that mean people who have already downloaded it will have it for free or will we get a message asking us to pay up or remove the App?

I am fairly sure that "free for a limited time" means that for a limited time one can obtain the app at no charge. In other words: "get it for free while you can!" It's actually great marketing on their behalf because I imagine that many people will get it for free now, then praise it endlessly which will cause others to buy it when it's no longer free. I definitely give it two thumbs up, so if a buddy gets an iPhone 3 months from now I'll recommend this app even if it costs money (provided it's reasonably priced; maybe under $5)...

aditghai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
I'll recommend this app even if it costs money (provided it's reasonably priced; maybe under $5)...

I think Shazam has a monthly membership fee of about $5-$10 a month. Hmmm. I really hope they dont ask people who downloaded it for free to starty paying up or worse they start adding each song tag cost to your phone bill.

that would suck

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i got shazam and i was able to use it with no charge.. they will probably charge you if they make an upgrade of it.. but for now, its entire free

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
I think they're going to start charging a monthly fee or a pay by instance fee...which sucks, I'd pay $10 or so for the app itself...but I mean how many times will I use it in a month to justify the cost?...

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
ugh.. i will uninstall if it EVER becomes any kind of subscription. I would have actually PAID for the app itself, but why would i pay for that when other phones can offer it free?
STUPID

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
well, my brother received his bill. On it, there was a $5 fee for shazam. On my bill, there was nothing like that. Also, I had the app before he did. Any ideas?

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I think Shazam has a monthly membership fee of about $5-$10 a month. Hmmm. I really hope they dont ask people who downloaded it for free to starty paying up or worse they start adding each song tag cost to your phone bill.

that would suck

They can't add it to your bill. That's ridiculous. Plus, AT&T doesn't even know what you use. Nor would they do that.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
well, my brother received his bill. On it, there was a $5 fee for shazam. On my bill, there was nothing like that. Also, I had the app before he did. Any ideas?

I highly doubt your brother knows what he's talking about. Not trying to be rude, but a screen shot of the bill would be necessary.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I highly doubt your brother knows what he's talking about. Not trying to be rude, but a screen shot of the bill would be necessary.

Agreed. I'd like to see further proof of said charges.

The App doesn't have anything to do with AT&T's billing.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
FWIW, I've sent e-mail to the folks at Shazam asking them to clarify whether it will actually cost to use Shazam at some point in the future. I'll post their response here.

Personally, while I think it's a cool app (esp. free), there is no chance in hell I will use it if it's going to cost me anything going forward.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Here's the response I received this morning:

Hi Clay

Thanks for writing in to ask for clarification. The application is Free and Shazam is not charging you anything for using this version of our service, so don't hold-back from using it!

With respect to our applications in the future, we'll communicate with you regarding upgrades or new application versions via the App store itself - you'll get little indicators for upgrades, so don't ignore them. We will look to enhance the application and continue to bring our new features, and, we may need to upgrade the application in order to continue to support the free version, as it does cost us considerably to provide the service. Keep posted but don't worry, we're not going to abruptly shut-down your Shazam.

Would you mind letting me know which country you are in and if you downloaded Shazam on first generation iPhone or the new 3G? Did you find Shazam on your own (i.e. checking out iTunes App Store) or did a friend put you on to the app?

Enjoy tagging music and building your own soundtrack of your life through Shazam! Thank you for your support.

Kind regards
Jon
How I read this:

• Right now, it's free to download and free to use.
  • At some point, it may no longer be free to download, and new builds may no longer be free for those who already have older builds (i.e., it may change from freeware to buyware, but if you have the freeware you should be able to keep using it even though it will no longer get new features and bug fixes).
  • But it will still be free to use for iPhone users (i.e., they'll get their money through sales of the software).

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
So how about that? Looks like said brother doesn't know how to read his bill.

None of your iPhone purchases come up on your AT&T bill, they come up on iTunes. :D

AND

Shazam is free.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
Shazaam is one of the best apps I have on my phone. :D I use it on a daily basis with a certain radio station in town. They never tell you the names of any of the songs they play. Its extremely irritating. :mad: It's good to know that this program will be free for iphone users.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Interesting...From the website:

How much does it cost?
Each time you Shazam music by calling 2580 from your mobile phone, your network operator standard call charges apply (calls usually cost no more than £0.12 max).

Each successful iD costs £0.50, including VAT (unless you are a subscriber to Tag Club which gives you up to 300 successful Tags for £2/30 day month.

If the tune you iD cannot be recognised, there's no charge. You must be 18+ yrs or have the bill payer's permission. Service works on all music except classical and live performances. See full terms of use.

This offer is only available to new Shazam subscribers and is subject to availability. This offer is limited to one iTunes download certificate per mobile phone number. If you do not receive your iTunes download certificate within 3 weeks of the end of your third month of subscription, contact 08456 003 956 and refer to promotion code "iTags".

By subscribing, you hereby accept the above stated terms and conditions.

What the hell is a "download certificate"? and what is the point of registering the mobile device (assuming iPhone's fall into the same category)

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I know Shazam has a service in the UK at least where you dial their number, hold the phone up and it will text you the answer as a premium rate message, so it costs about £1/$2 a go, but works on any mobile.

Hopefully they will keep the iPhone service free as an advert for all your non-iphone owning friends to use their premium service.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Interesting...From the website:

What the hell is a "download certificate"? and what is the point of registering the mobile device (assuming iPhone's fall into the same category)

iPhones don't fall into the same category. Unless you are using it in the way as every other phone. If you use the Shazam app, it's free. If you call the Shazam number and get the SMS message, it's not.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I downloaded Shazam, a service that lets you identify which song is playing in the background if you hold your phone to the speaker.

On their website it says that they charge $5-$10 a month. Will it come on my AT&T bill because everytime it identifies a song it says sending.

I hope they dont bill me for it as I did not read anything about billing when I downloaded the APP

I wouldn't mind paying for this app ONCE but not open to a monthly fee :eek:

rannddeee

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
La La Land, CA
so....can anyone verify whether this app is truly free or not? i found this comment in the app store:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.