Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digiprog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have updated my Iphone I bought from Ebay some monthes ago & now its stuffed.
Anyone out there that can fix it if I send it to them please.??

Digiprog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Brick Ihone

I updated it to Ver 2.0 & it has failed it shows a picture of a USB on the Iphone screen & the PC shows insert a valid SIM the Iphone was made in the USA & I guess was hacked to work on any sim updating it has wrecked it.

a27

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I updated it to Ver 2.0 & it has failed it shows a picture of a USB on the Iphone screen & the PC shows insert a valid SIM the Iphone was made in the USA & I guess was hacked to work on any sim updating it has wrecked it.

If you are in the UK:
Insert an O2 SIM.
Attempt to activate it.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008

Sounds like you bought an unlocked iPhone and then tried to update... which you should never do with jailbroken/unlocked iPhones without restoring it first.

I know someone else that accidentally did this, but I have no clue if he ever got it working again. I suggest taking a look at these two links. I did a quick Google search and this could have a small chance of working... though I don't know for sure.

http://limitededitioniphone.com/bricked-iphone-after-firmware-111-steps-to-fix/
http://iphoneindia.gyanin.com/2008/01/25/virginize-your-bricked-iphone-and-repair-the-baseband/

splee73

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Contact the guy who runs this website http://www.hackthatphone.com/. He offers a repair service as well as the Step-by-Step guides for hacking/unlocking your iPhone. You should be able to recover it using one of the recovery guides.

tardis56

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
South UK
I have updated my Iphone I bought from Ebay some monthes ago & now its stuffed.
Anyone out there that can fix it if I send it to them please.??

Try this:
Press both top (power button) and bottom button together (if you just have the Apple logo displayed). Once you do this keep them held down for 30 seconds at least - it will cycle once then the screen will go blank.

Plug in USB lead (not via a router or keyboard but into the PC itself). Don't power iPhone up again but hold the bottom button down and plug it directly into the dock or lead at the same time.
Keep it held down until the USB symbol on the phone comes up - it may have to reinstall Version 2.0 and restore form backup but that did the trick for me!

a27

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Sounds like you bought an unlocked iPhone and then tried to update... which you should never do with jailbroken/unlocked iPhones without restoring it first.

I did updated from a jailbroken and unlocked unit without restoring and I'm on 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.