Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Anyone else having a problem with problem Youtube videos? Very blurry. Is this normal? Definitely not as clear as I expected. Wondering if the old iphone was like this also.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Anyone else having a problem with problem Youtube videos? Very blurry. Is this normal? Definitely not as clear as I expected. Wondering if the old iphone was like this also.

it depends on the content you are viewing. youtube is not known for quality video. also. i believe the iphone scales the quality depending on what you are connecting with and at what speed.

J2theizzle

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
It also depends on what network you are using to connect. I see that on my 3g it is still the same quality as it was on Edge. On wifi you will see a huge jump in quality. There are two different rates at which youtube is encoded for iPhone. That which goes over the cell towers is a much lower quality due to loading speed and the bandwidth conservation for the cell networks.

Alsolaria

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
YouTube mobile App is blurry on IOS6 but not no Safari

It also depends on what network you are using to connect. I see that on my 3g it is still the same quality as it was on Edge. On wifi you will see a huge jump in quality. There are two different rates at which youtube is encoded for iPhone. That which goes over the cell towers is a much lower quality due to loading speed and the bandwidth conservation for the cell networks.

Hi, I found YouTube mobile App on IOS6 blurry on 3G but not on wifi with my iPhone4 and iPad4 . In order not to view the blurry video, I give up Youtube Mobile App but use Safari to view YouTube on 3G.

Please note I use CSL in Hong Kong so it is not AT&T problem and I suspect it may due to IOS6.

Any comment and support!

Alsolaria

cheryl325

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
hi it's probably because you're connected to 3G not wifi. It's a vast difference in quality. Also depends on how strong the connection is.

MichaelKB

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
That new YouTube app sucks. Try using the Jasmine app. It's better by default, or you can go into settings and make it use the highest quality available.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
What everyone else said is correct.
This happens with almost every phone, it's a default setting in the youtube app.
I used to have the Droid X2 before the iP5 and when watching videos the youtube app will load it according to your connection. If your connection is 3g or less, it will not play in the highest quality, instead it'll adjust to a lower quality so that your video doesn't stay buffering. But if you watch the same content over WiFi, or LTE (assuming your LTE speeds are fast), it'll load with the highest quality.

On the Droid X2 you can go into the settings of youtube and there was an option to load all videos in the highest quality regardless of connection speed. Not sure if there's one for the iP5. Like I said, I'm new to iP5 and still messing around with it.
I just learned how to charge the iP5...jk :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.