Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
i have a original 2.5G phone with 8gigs... running 2.0

i was installing Bubble Wrap from the mobile app store and went back to the app store and it was being very glitchy ... nothing was loading and everything had a little delay... so anyway i go to hold the top on/off button for five seconds to get the slide to turn off... so i can reboot it and then the phone crashes and turns off with horizontal lines and starts rebooting... at this point it is stuck at the apple logo and does nothing else...

i already tried holding down the on/off button and the home button together to reboot and it still stays stuck... it reboots but always stays at the apple screen...

i am currently at work and dont have access to my Mac so i cant connect it to it to even do a restore... which sucks... anything i can do from here?

thanks.

UPDATE: I just connected it to the PC here at the office and it acctually was able to read and transfer photos over through the camera wizard so it is reading the info on it but im not sure whats going on... its as if it has booted up but the home screen is not there just the Apple boot up screen.

damn this sucks not having your phone work and not being able to restore it until you get home.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You can't force it to restore mode? (hold power and home, then when apple logo appears just hold home)?

Or you can't do that until you get home?

i havent tried that but im pretty sure i can... its just that if i get it into restore mode... there is nothing else i can do until i get home to my Mac.... so im hopeing that by some chance it boots back up... right now i am just leaving it alone but it is stuck at the apple logo and it has been like this for more than 30 minutes... i have tried rebooting it like 10 times to no luck so im just leaving it alone and seeing if by chance it magically wakes up from its DEEP SLEEP!

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
yep, i have the same issue with mine. exact same model you hae

basically the app store (iTunes) said i had an update to install for Cro-Mag Rally last night.
During installation i got an error, then it said my iPhone was not connected and could not sync. Then as i reconnected it started reinstalling applications which i thought was wierd. So after it finished that, i went to some of the apps it reinstalled, AIM was one of them. AIM would not work.

So i did a force-restart (held both buttons down), and now it just stays at the apple screen.

I have an appointment with the idiot bar at my local Apple Store in a couple hours, i'll post back when i return.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
yep, i have the same issue with mine. exact same model you hae

basically the app store (iTunes) said i had an update to install for Cro-Mag Rally last night.
During installation i got an error, then it said my iPhone was not connected and could not sync. Then as i reconnected it started reinstalling applications which i thought was wierd. So after it finished that, i went to some of the apps it reinstalled, AIM was one of them. AIM would not work.

So i did a force-restart (held both buttons down), and now it just stays at the apple screen.

I have an appointment with the idiot bar at my local Apple Store in a couple hours, i'll post back when i return.

Any Luck?....

my battery finally died and is on the "Charge me" low power mode... but i tought maybe i can charge it and it will be better but nope... still same situation... doesnt boot up... i cant wait to get home so i can try to restore this bad boy... does anyone know how long the apple warranty is on the iphone? is it 1 year? what if i got it exchanged though the genius bar?

i have had this phone since October.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
yep, took it into the Genius Bar and they gave me a brand new 1st gen 8gb iPhone, right there in the store.

They checked the water damage indicator inside the headphone jack, and it was white, so i was clear for take off.
I'm still under the 1st year warranty, but i'm definitely going to extend it with Applecare to 2 years. You can do this if its still in the first year of warranty.

I suggest that anyone with an iPhone not restoring should schedule an appointment at your nearest apple store asap.

Just take your phone in, they only exchange that, none of the included accessories (unless they too are defective). They even installed 2.0 on it for me in the store. In all, it only took about 20 minutes.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Back up and Running i just had to plug it in to my Mac and it recognized it on itunes after the second try ... hit the Sync key and all seem to come back! :D

Kyle Appleseed

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Michigan
i was installing Bubble Wrap from the mobile app store and went back to the app store and it was being very glitchy ... nothing was loading and everything had a little delay...

This happens to me all the time when I d/l from the App Store over 3G. I just get everything from itunes and sync but I shouldn't have to. :mad:

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
well my iPhone replacement went south as well. and it was almost the exact same sequence of events. i had some updates available to app store apps, i downloaded them, sync'd them. then the iphone became unresponsive, then crashed, then wouldn't boot up.

apple gave me another (3rd) iPhone. we'll see how long this one lasts.

i just love how when i check for app updates on iTunes i get a different rundown of available updates than i do on the mobile AppStore. And then when i download one on the AppStore, it doesn't sync back as an update to my Applications in iTunes.

WTF, Apple ?

i gotta say, apple really needs to get their s#i+ together. and i've never had to say that. No issues with my past macs (G4 12" 867mhz, G4 12" 1.5ghz, G4 15" 400mhz, G4 400mhz Tower, G5 1.8ghz iMac), but ever since this Intel and iPhone thing and Apple's sudden popularity, their quality has gone to the crapper, at least in my own personal experience. My Rev A MBP 2ghz tanked its logic board and HD controller after 13 months of ownership (see above, i've owned mostly RevA's and never a problem), and now i'm on my THIRD IPHONE?? c'mon!

I'm amazed my Black MacBook (RevA) doesnt have random shutdown syndrome, but the iSight did bite the dust 3 months ago. so far my iMac 2.4ghz (Aluminum RevA) has been problem free. So that's 1 out of 5 "modern" Apple products i've owned that hasn't experienced a hardware problem.

Oh and the refurbed iPhone they gave me, i take it home to sync and its got a 3/4" line of pixels at the very bottom completely out. If the Apple store wasn't a half hour drive i'd take it back tomorrow, but sadly, i already know that this iPhone, like the two before it, will eventually stop working so i'll just get the pixel issue sorted out once it (inevitably) tanks.

edit: almost forgot, my 2 year old 23" Cinema HD fried a PSU, and a logic board 2 months ago.
They ought to know me by name at the Genius Bar by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.