Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
So I was playing a music video on my iPhone 3G and I decided to cover the right speaker with my index finger. When I cover it, I still hear the song just as loud from the left speaker. But when I cover the left speaker, I can barely hear anything. It seems like only one of the two speakers on the bottom of the phone is working. Is this normal?? Try it on yours?!?

EDIT: Many of you are saying one is speaker and one is a microphone. But if you do the same thing on the first generation iPhone, the other side still plays loudly. Why has this changed in the new generation?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
There is ONLY one speaker on the iPhone - on the left side.

The other side is the microphone!

LOL its so funny how many of you don't realise that - read Apple support before you post please!

jvanlee1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
So I was playing a music video on my iPhone 3G and I decided to cover the right speaker with my index finger. When I cover it, I still hear the song just as loud from the left speaker. But when I cover the left speaker, I can barely hear anything. It seems like only one of the two speakers on the bottom of the phone is working. Is this normal?? Try it on yours?!?

There's only one speaker. The other is the microphone.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
There's only one speaker. The other is the microphone.

So the right side is the microphone? Thank god. The old iPhone does not do this though. If you cover one of the speakers, the other one still is just as loud. Why is it different in the new one??

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
So the right side is the microphone? Thank god. The old iPhone does not do this though. If you cover one of the speakers, the other one still is just as loud. Why is it different in the new one??

Because the speakers are smaller and don't have that many openings to have sound waves pass through. On the old iPhone, the speaker / microphone had more openings. This is worse. The new iPhone is better in this way because not only does it sound better, but you will sound better as well.
;)

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
LOL, I didn't realize this until today...I would have felt stupid had I consulted a Genius :p

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Must not have seen the sticky that reads "iPhone only has one working bottom speaker/defective speaker"

It's not like it's right on top of all the threads or anything.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
These threads are like a ping test to the Mods :)
Always bring ire, and humor, in roughly equal amounts too...
Is this the *original* thread on the subject? hehe

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Must not have seen the sticky that reads "iPhone only has one working bottom speaker/defective speaker"

It's not like it's right on top of all the threads or anything.

But was that sticky there July 16th, 2008?

I'm betting this post was made before that happened. I seem to remember the great flood of these threads coming towards the end of summer.

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
You're 100% correct. I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread (and checking dates) before commenting.

Teaches me for quickly responding before reading the entire thread.

My apologies to the OP.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
EDIT: Many of you are saying one is speaker and one is a microphone. But if you do the same thing on the first generation iPhone, the other side still plays loudly. Why has this changed in the new generation?

Nothing. iphone speaker is intended to use as loudspeaker for calls. Anything else should be avoided, incluinding gaming or listen music when broswing since you can tap the speaker when handling your iphone in the horizontal position. Its a design issue with two years, can't last any more, with the introduction of an all-mighty five-core iphone 4G with 3 days of battery, copy paste and push-notifications.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
But was that sticky there July 16th, 2008?

I'm betting this post was made before that happened. I seem to remember the great flood of these threads coming towards the end of summer.

Yeah I don't think I remember the sticky until a month or so after iDay 2. I remember the whole iPhone Help section was full of these for a while. :)

On the topic of speakers, does anyone else prefer the design of the speakers on the 2g iPhone. The 3G seems unfinished.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I have to disagree, the 3G has the spiffy mesh, which in my opinion looks better than the 2G. Plus the 3G is louder, and more clear.

To each his own, but I prefer the little holes instead of the mesh. :)

Attachments

• iphonecompare7.jpg
    iphonecompare7.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 164

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
There is only a small percentage of iPhone users who post on forums.. so there must be thousands of people out there that also think there are 2 speakers on the bottom of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.